How long till Photoshop makes it onto the store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fugabutacus, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

Sorry if this has already been posted...

How long do you think it'll be before Photoshop shows up on the Mac Store?

I'm guessing it certainly will - adobe would be pretty stupid not to put it on the store, i reckon.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think high end business products like photoshop will ever be on the Mac Store. The store is mostly for consumers as per the terms of agreement you accept when using the App Store.

3. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Adope said they wont join the mac app store any time soon:(

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Photoshop Elements may well be added to the store at some point, but I really can't see full photoshop being added for the reasons given above by TuffLuffJimmy

5. Fugabutacus thread starter macrumors regular

Well, thats sucks. I'm not paying their ridiculous prices only to have it on one mac! Any good alternatives?

i'm also really hoping Apple will put Final Cut Pro on the store, but we'll have to wait and see...

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Not as powerful, but affordable and pretty good, is Pixelmator.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why should adobe go to the app store and thus reduce their income. Every sale apple gets a cut of the action. Also FWIW, you can install many of adobe products on two computers, as per the EULA.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Final Cut Express will eventually be on the store, but I highly doubt FCP will ever make it.

10. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Isn't pixelmator jus a toy that cant replacy photoshop. How about gimp is it any good on mmac?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt Adobe wants to give 30% of the price for Apple...

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How much do you suspect other retailers take? Adobe doesn't just sell directly.

B

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Photoshop won't be on the Mac App Store anytime soon, but it has nothing to do with the 30% split. Adobe sells their products through many retail stores, including brick and mortar stores, that cost them much more than 30%. For example, Apple retail stores. And the Apple Online Store.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I could see them selling Elements versions through MAS, and also maybe using it to distribute Reader

B

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely less than 30%. I doubt software has big profits nowadays. Why would Adobe sell them 30% off for the reseller while they can sell it for the full price through their own store?

16. appcase macrumors newbie

Products sold through distributors are usually priced at an amount that relieves some, if not all, of the distributors percentage. Companies also do this when they become taxed more. They will tend to mark up their prices to lay the cost on the consumer.

Assuming products like Photoshop and After Effects are already priced to account for something close to a 30% fee, I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually make their way to the App Store.

I find that the majority of my App Store purchases are a bit impulsive and, although spending hundreds on an app would take more thought than a $0.99 app, I do believe that I would act more impulsively when the purchase process is more convenient (like the App Store is).

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Definitely? Based on what? Are you including manufacturing, packaging and distribution costs?

Why? Same reasons they use retailers at all. Exposure, bulk sales, advertising.

And they can't sell it at "full price" through their own store. They still have costs even when the sell direct.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Same reason I can buy Adobe products from Apple B&M stores. Access to customers wallets.

The fact that Amazon and Costco both sell a $99 MSRP retail copy of Photoshop Elements for ~$70 should mean something ;) Unless you think they aren't making money at these prices.

MAS provides a lot of service for that 30%.

B