How long till Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gallinger, Jul 20, 2007.

1. gallinger macrumors regular

I am in Canada and was planning on buying an iPhone tomorrow. Even though i know it wont work, I was just going to buy it and just wait untill someone came out with a way to unlock it. Now im not sure if it is worth it because if the iPhone comes out in canada before it gets unlocked then im SCREWED! What do all of you think? Will it get unlocked before it comes out in Canada?

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I think it would be extremely foolish to buy one now.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You have two options.

1: Buy iPhone now. Sit there looking at it, as you can't even use the iPod portion until it's activated. Wait for someone to develop a hack, as the value of your unusable iPhone depreciates with time. Hope that a hack actually is developed, but never know if it will ever come.

2: Wait. Reap benefits of software/hardware development over the course of time. Buy new iPhone when you can actually use it, either hacked or on a Canadian network when Apple reveals their carrier. No torturing yourself with an unusable brick, no depreciation.

It's up to you, really. ;)

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Clearly you're not keeping up :)

The ability to activate and use the WiFi and iPod sections has been around for over two weeks now.

He's asking about unlocking for any carrier. The last I heard (and I could be out of date) is that you could now use any ATT SIM or perhaps paid SIM.

6. ukneeq macrumors member

Yea you can only use the SIMs that are being placed in the iPhone. Others have said that even other AT&T SIMS won't work in the iPhone.

7. jasonsmith macrumors member

Every one person has their own wants, needs, preferences and desires.

Evaluate what you will get out of the phone; currently everything except "phone" and YouTube. If the rest floats your boat then buy and enjoy.

As long as you are aware that it may be a long time or a short time until its unlocked. Also be aware that an unlock may not happen. In that case when it does hit Rogers after Ted gets his act together you may need a different version.

8. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

i belieive that there is a partial hack that allows you to use a different carrier, as long as that carrier piggy backs onto the at&t network i read it on macworld last night.

also there was a rumor that a guy ad managed to get is iphone to work on Vodaphone the largest carrier in the UK. (I must admit when i heard it i was tempted to get one shipped over) but i have now seen the light and if the guy in the O2 shop was right when i spoke to him, the reason that there is still no contract signed with O2 is down to o2 agreeing with the same terms as AT&T but have placed a condition on the phone being 3G, as O2 are dropping its i-mode service, and need a replacement for it

i hope to GOD that he wasnt yanking my chain (and if he was i hope he goes to hell for all eternity

9. jg2000 macrumors member

stop hoping about an unlock already, it's not happening anytime soon. Use the the phone as it was intended or be an adult and wait your turn.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3