iPad How long to charge iPad 4 from dead?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Nov 10, 2012.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

How long does it take to charge the new iPad 4 from dead to 100%
    I have the ipad 3 and I hate how long it takes.
    Thinking about getting the new 12 Watt power adapter just to increase the charging time even for a little bit.
    Any iPad 3 to iPad 4 owners that can tell the difference?

2. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

for me i charge it before going to bed so i never notice it.
    but i do know that after ios 6 my ipad doesnt quite last as long.
    I now got the ipad 4 and it doesnt last nearly as long as my 5.1.1 ipad 3

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

There's another thread on this.
    My test was 5 hours 15 minutes with the 12w charger (32 GB wifi iPad 4).
    Somebody else had reported 6 hours with an iPad 3 and 10w charger.

4. usmaak macrumors regular

iPad 3 here. I bought a 12 watt charger last week. My iPad charges up 16 percent per hour with the ten watt charger, and 19 percent per hour with the 12 watt charger. I never run my devices down to dead, so I am not sure how long it would take. There is a definite but small increase in charging when using the 12 watt charger.

5. coldpower27 macrumors regular

So at that rate charge time should be just over 5 hours or so from 0 to 100%.

6. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I, on the other hand, like the fact the Ipad 3 took so long to charge. Some said 7 hours which means that you can just simply charge it when you go to sleep and wake up, it will be full.

My Ipad 2 took only 3-4 hours so its hard to find the time span to charge it. In the morning i go to work and when i came back i put it on charge, i have nothing to play with then after finished, i took it out and no more time to play or i can't wake up in the morning.

I HATED CHARGING OVERNIGHT. No matter what people said, i would prefer to unplug once it is full.

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

So does that mean you keep constant watch on your iPad to make sure you unplug the moment it is showing charged? What do you think will happen if you leave it plugged in after it is charged?:rolleyes:

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wouldn't the iPad stop charging once the tablet's battery was fully charged?

I generally only charge my iPad when it needs it and not over night, mostly because I'll do it on my computer during the day.

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

There are battery apps that will play a sound when the battery has reached full charge.

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I didn't keep constant look on it to get full charge. I just try to make sure after 4-5 hours, it should be full and unplugged.

I know it wouldn't damage the ipad if i left it overnight but its just my thing. I prefer to unplug it after full charge for awhile only.