how long to completely wipe an iPad 1 16gb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by btownguy, Apr 29, 2011.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I just sold my iPad 1 on Craigslist and the guy wants to see it in action before purchasing. Sounded like an honest guy and not the most familiar tech products. Anyway, I have no problem showing it to him in action. I will wipe it before we make the transaction however. I remember the iPhone 3G used to take quite a while to wipe but the iPhone 4 was fast. How long will it take for me to wipe the 16gb iPad 1 after I make the transaction with this guy?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not going to bite on that. You can tell though.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. dacapo macrumors 6502

Enjoyed this. Don't doubt that some people have a better sense of detecting honesty in others. I, however, am not endowed with that ability.:eek:

Out of curiosity, is there a chance that a mean-spirited hacker could in fact somehow gain access to the data even after a restore? Or, conversely, after you do a restore, is it possible for data recovery services to recover data off of your device?

7. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose there's always a chance. I don't hold nuclear codes on my iPad or anything, so I suppose the level of effort to do such a thing would vastly outweigh any benefit a hacker would get by doing so on my personal device.

8. dacapo macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're probably right. But when people sell their Macs, they are advised to zero-out their drives, so I was wondering if something like that is possible on the iPads (or if the restore/wipe actually does zero out things).