How long to fix "optical sound" problem on MacBook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brguitarist, Mar 14, 2009.

1. brguitarist macrumors member

Hey guys,
    Simple question. My MacBook is currently giving me the "optical sound" problem, where no sound comes out through the built-in speakers and the pref panel says it's outputting through optical sound.

I'm aware this is a relatively common problem with the MacBook and something just got bent or something in the jack. My question is, does anyone know how long the "geniuses" would take to fix this? Do they fix it on the spot or will they have to ship my MacBook out (if so, does this take any longer than a week?)
    If it helps, I'd be going to the Menlo Park, Edison, NJ Apple Store. (Average sized store).

I'm on Spring Break this week, so it might be a good time for me to take care of this.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They'll probably take a week to fix it, seems to be about the norm even for simple repairs.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I heard they replace the whole logic board as the jack is soldered to it.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I had that problem once, and the other symptom was a red light shining out of the audio out. I just had to put a regular audio plug in there and pull it out a few times. Whatever switch it was in there that told the computer I was using digital audio got jammed, and that fixed it.

5. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Mine still does it.... had the logic board replaced... still does it.

I think it's something MacBook owners have learned to live with.... the new one too!