How long to get a display replaced, 13" mid-2009?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danimal99, Jun 17, 2010.

1. danimal99 macrumors regular

My June '09 MBP has a screen that's going bad on me. It's got this smearing effect creeping in about an inch from around all the edges, accompanied by these strange diagonal lines. There's also something that can only be described as a several inch long ripple in the bottom left corner. All of these effects are really only terribly visible if the screen is bright all over. It's otherwise completely readable.

I bought it last August so it's still under warranty, but I will need to hurry up and do something about it soon. The problem is, I have no Apple Store that is local, with all being between 2 to 3 hours away in every direction.

I've called the closest, and they said they send them out to be fixed and it will take a few days. The next closest said they can't tell me how long it would take until they see it.

How long should it take to get a replacement display installed? Is this something that they should be able to do during one day, where I could drop it off early, hang around town all day, and come back to pick it up in the afternoon? Or, considering my MBP is in pristine condition otherwise, are they open to the suggestion of swapping the hard drive and RAM, both of which I've upgraded myself, with a replacement?

Thanks.

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

They will tell you it takes between 7-10 business days. In reality at least when i had my 13" MBP screen replaced twice. It took 4 days both times.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

What was wrong your displays?

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Call 800-APL-CARE and request a mail-in repair. It will actually only take a few days, though they may quote a week or 10 days.

You can also check www.tinyurl.com/findaasp and see if an Apple-Authorized shop is in your area.

Best wishes!

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

That blows. It won't be done in one day, shouldn't take a week though.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The two top causes for delays are

a) ordering the entire display assembly and waiting for it to come in

b) sending it off to a central center for it to be done.

If A, a week. If B, two weeks, as it has to be sent numerous ways.

I would say ten days.

Beats paying to get it done or having to do it yourself though.