How long to get used to keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jdee2wheels, Feb 21, 2017.

1. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Hi,

I got a 2016 MacBook a few days ago. The overall design is great and it seems plenty fast, but I'm really struggling with the keyboard and wonder if anyone had feedback on how long it took to get use to it and even prefer it to the old style MacBook keyboard. Maybe in some cases that never happens?

If I really concentrate I can type about the same speed as I can on my old MacBook pro, but it requires a lot of mental effort and is hard to sustain for very long. I also find it hard to just casually pick it up and bang out a few sentences without making a huge number of errors. Lastly, I use an external wired Apple keyboard at work and switching between the two keyboard types is really hard. I almost feel like I've gotten worse on both of them as a result. Maybe at some point Apple will release a new external that has a similar feel, but in the meantime I don't see how anyone manages to switch between both styles and not get tripped up.

Interested to hear other's experiences as I need to decide soon if I can live with it and keep the machine or if the keyboard is a deal breaker.

Cheers!

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

When I moved to progressive lens in my glasses the Dr told me wait 3 weeks before I give up. They had 3 focal lengths (Reading, Computer, Distance) I think I looked like a chicken for 2 and a half weeks. Then one day I noticed I wasn't thinking about it or counting days.

I also have tinnitus, I can hear the ringing in my ears loudly now, because I just thought about it. In a few hours I'll ignore it again.

It took me a few days to not think of the new keyboard anymore and now that I am, I notice I don't have to push the same as the other keyboards I use.

I don't know if you've ever learned to drive a standard automobile, you really think about the shifting until you don't ...

I think you get the point, type, it gets natural. Just like when they changed the direction of the scrolling on the track pad eventually it just happens and it seems weird the other way.

3. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the unique insight. I drive a standard transmission so that's a useful analogy too. I rarely think about shifting anymore...hopefully this keyboard situation will be the same because the laptop is great otherwise.

4. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I also switch back and forth between an Apple Magic keyboard and the MacBook. I would say it takes infinitely long to get used to the MacBook keyboard (at least the 2015 version). I'm ok with it, I think my typing speed is about the same, but I make more errors, and I never feel it is a pleasant experience.

5. bill-p macrumors 65832

Yeah, it took me somewhere between 1-3 months to get used to the 2015 rMB keyboard.

By the time I got the 2016 version, I'm proficient enough with the keyboard that I can now type >70WPM without looking at the keyboard, which is much the same as with other keyboards. In fact, the computer being much smaller and lighter means sometimes I don't even look at the screen and just treat the whole thing like a keyboard at meetings/lectures, and it works surprisingly well for that. Now people sometimes make a weird face at me when they see I have it on my lap but I don't even glance at the screen, and I make noise while typing.

That said, I still have problems with the keyboard making too much noise. My older rMBP 15" is near silent with my typing, whereas the rMB definitely wants to announce to the world that I am typing away on the keyboard, as well as how fast I am typing, which kinda sounds like "clack clack clack" and then "thunk" whenever I slam on the space bar. Luckily meetings are typically full of people wanting to butt in and have a piece of their mind on the table so it's not too loud there, but I can no longer procrastinate, because my colleagues and boss can totally tell when I am working and when I am not now.

Edit: according to TypingTest.com, I can reach 85WPM with the rMB keyboard. Not too shabby, I guess.

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

took me a few days. but... i still have my 2015 macbook pro, and going back and forth between the 2 macs is a nuisance. still, i much prefer the newer keyboard...

7. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

I guess that is also my concern. I'm sure I can get use to anything given enough time, but is it going to be a pleasant experience? At the moment it certainly is not...

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i got used to it, and now prefer it. going back to the older macbook is awkward. once you adapt, you won't think about it anymore... and it should be a pleasant experience.

9. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I've had mine 4 months and still haven't got used to it. I much prefer typing on my iMac keyboard, and make significantly less mistakes. I'm still hitting the ~ key instead of Shift regularly, and constantly typing passwords incorrectly, which I rarely do on other keyboards :(

10. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Took me some time to get used to it, but once I did I actually prefer the shallow keys (others have said this too). The noise of the keystrokes can be annoying but I take a little extra precaution and try to type a little softer.

Besides that: love the rMB and the keyboard!

11. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Giving how opinions seem to be all over the map, I'm going to give it a few weeks and see how it goes. The laptop is so great otherwise, I really want to give it a fair shake.

12. mhunt407 macrumors newbie

mhunt407

For me I'd say around three months - now I'm used to it I love it, but my god the first couple weeks were tough and full of mistakes causing serious doubts. Stick with it though, you won't look back.