How long to replace screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smurray, Mar 13, 2013.

1. smurray macrumors regular

I have an appt on Saturday to take my 15" rMBP in to the Genius Bar. It started exhibiting ghosting and also I had a dead pixel pop up in the middle of the screen. Assuming they decide to replace the screen, how long does that usually take? This is my main computer I use for work, and am trying to figure out how long I'll have to make due without it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It generally won't take too long but there's really too many variables to nail the timing down. That is, how many repairs are in front of you, do they have the parts on hand etc, etc.

I've seen posts and reports that they've done the repair in a few days, i.e., send the laptop off Friday and get it back Tuesday.

3. thebritishguy macrumors member

I had mine changed about 2 month ago

Dropped off on a Friday morning, ready to pickup Tuesday

4. Suanmiao macrumors member

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Must have been a foxconn genius :p

6. Suanmiao macrumors member

Well I told them I need my computer to teach, and I only have very limited off days a year (which is true)
    It just so happened that they got one screen in stock and they changed it for me in 2 hours, next day the trackpad went crazy, went back, they changed the top case for me in another 2 hours.

7. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

I had to wait a day for the screen to come in and then they changed it in an hour.

8. smurray thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to give a quick update. I dropped my laptop off Saturday afternoon and got a call yesterday (Sunday) morning saying it was ready. Less than 24 hour turnaround time. I can also confirm that they replaced my screen with a Samsung, which seems to be the standard.

9. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

Quick question a little unrelated,

What do Apple actually do with all the screens with IR, dead pixels etc they replace? Do they refurb them (if that's even possible)??

10. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

glad to hear.

love how they let you know there is a samsung in there now vs playing dumb and say they are all the same... even the "new" LG screens. lol

----------

my guess is they go back to LG for trouble shooting / refund

11. Outkast27, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I just got mine back last week. After the screen was ordered, took a few days, Apple called me to bring in my mac. I dropped it off and it was ready the next day. It depends on their work load. I got my mbpr back, damaged, and with a screw on the bottom panel sticking out. Make sure you go over your machine super thoroughly before leaving the store.

12. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

soo what happened?

13. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

The black border around the lcd screen has a hard crease in each of the top corners, like the corners were bent. Also a screw on the bottom panel is not flush, it sticks out. I called the Apple rep that helped me set up the appointment, and also helped after it took over a month to replace my faulty ipad mini, he said he was going to call my local Apple store and touch base with them. He asked what I wanted. I told him I was dreading going through the entire process of taking it back to be looked and and swapping the screen out again, and possibly causing new damage to my mac, since these things are so sensitive to be wrenching on. I told him Im considering just leaving it, but it really does bother me.