Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I had a new MBP on Monday and have just had a replacement delivered due to the first one being faulty. Apple said they will arrange for TNT to phone me to arrange collection of the first MBP but I am in work 7.30am - 6.30pm every day and work won't allow me to get the laptop picked up from there.

How long do I have to get the laptop back to Apple before they charge me for it? Can/will they even charge me for it?

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I had a new MBP on Monday and have just had a replacement delivered due to the first one being faulty. Apple said they will arrange for TNT to phone me to arrange collection of the first MBP but I am in work 7.30am - 6.30pm every day and work won't allow me to get the laptop picked up from there.

How long do I have to get the laptop back to Apple before they charge me for it? Can/will they even charge me for it?

They can and will charge you for it. I am not sure how long. I would assume 2 weeks (14 days) would be the end of the line. You don't have a relative that could have it picked up from their house? Can they send you a prepaid label so you can just ship it to them whenever you can make it to a FedEx?

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
14 days. I think they also charge a restocking fee of around 10%.
They don't charge a restocking fee if the item is faulty.

They can and will charge you for it. I am not sure how long. I would assume 2 weeks (14 days) would be the end of the line. You don't have a relative that could have it picked up from their house? Can they send you a prepaid label so you can just ship it to them whenever you can make it to a FedEx?

Yeah, I thought about 14 days. Would they notify me before charging me? My family all live around 60 miles away. I'll have to have nice words with my other half lol.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

Apple didnt give you this information? You do NOT have a POC by either email or a phone with a RMA or Case Number to call and inquire? :confused:

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Apple didnt give you this information? You do NOT have a POC by either email or a phone with a RMA or Case Number to call and inquire? :confused:

I have an email with an RMA number but nowhere on it, does it state how long I have to return it. It just says TNT will phone me to arrange a time.

NSK123

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2008
I have done this a fair few times with apple and TNT, the process is pretty simple, I guess you called apple and told them you wanna return an item then they told you TNT will call you in a few days to arrange a pickup time.

Someone from TNT will call you soon and they will then ask you what time you would like them to pickup the apple product, as I remember they do collect items at night also, well atleast they do here in Sweden. If your prevented from being home at any time you can also arrange to personally deliver the package at their warehouse in the evening.

Either waybafter you've spoken to TNT on the phone they will email you some labels that you'll need to tape outside of your apple package.

there's no such thing as a restocking fee here in Europe, companies have to give you a full refund always, also apple doesn't charge you for the TNT pickup..good Service I guess.
Legally you have 14 days to return it counting from the day you contact apple, but as you've already called apple and their arranging for the package to get picked up there shouldn't be a problem. I've even returned products after 3 weeks and they didn't say anything about it.

emcham

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
If you want to know how long you have to get the computer shipped out, just go to the apple store online, go to the "my account/order status" section, go to the order number in your recent orders, click "more details" for the order, and all the info will be there. It will tell you the date it has to be sent out. You can probably send it on that date if you have to cut it close.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Hmm... weren't you advised by the good people on here just to get it repaired as you'd have it back in days???

ijyt

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2009
How does the 14-day return apply to online orders? From the date it's delivered and signed for or from the day it's shipped?

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Doesn't that sound odd? At what point do you realize you're speaking to the wrong person and ask for somebody else?

Look, I'm not stupid, and I certainly don't make threads just for the sake of it. I rang Apple on 3 occassions asking for this information and all 3 people said they either didn't know or were unaware of a time limit. This sounded odd to me so I asked here.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How I don't know how it works in Europe but why is Apple putting the responsibility on a carrier to ship/return a computer? Here in Canada/US, Apple arranges everything and the carrier doesn't do anything but send it back when it's received by the customer.

Anyway, there's only 2 people to call, Apple or TNT. I find it hard to believe that Apple can't tell you what to do with their product and TNT can't tell you how to package the computer for return. Does no one know how to do their job anymore? :p

If you're scared about being charged for a computer, don't be. Clearly you don't want or not going to use the defective computer nor are you stupid enough to scam Apple. Even if they do charge you (after a certain time period) it's one call to Apple CSR to have it reversed and hopefully at that time, someone will be able to give you instructions.

(This is why I choose not to buy online, too much hassle not being able to go to the Apple Store. If you're not near one, well I guess you have no choice.)

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Look, I'm not stupid, ...I rang Apple on 3 occassions asking for this information and all 3 people said they either didn't know or were unaware of a time limit.
Why 3 separate calls? Just make one call. They all understand, "Let me speak to your supervisor please."

I can't believe they simply said, "Uh... I don't know. Is there anything else I can't help you with?"

And I know you aren't stupid. You're just dealing with an everyday bureaucracy that's understandably frustrating.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Why 3 separate calls? Just make one call. They all understand, "Let me speak to your supervisor please."

I can't believe they simply said, "Uh... I don't know. Is there anything else I can't help you with?"

And I know you aren't stupid. You're just dealing with an everyday bureaucracy that's understandably frustrating.

I'm calling troll on this. Dude get MBP with slightly noisy fan then logs onto MR to wind up genuine Mac users who advised him just to get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.