How long to wait for a better iMac price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mischraum, Dec 3, 2015.

1. mischraum macrumors newbie

mischraum

Right now I would buy the new 21" Retina iMac with 2 TB Fusion Drive and 16 GB RAM. As I bought my last iMac almost 10 years ago I don't know how prices/specs change over time.
    How likely is it that prices fall a bit in the first three months of 2016 especially for the Fusion Drive option and/or the RAM upgrade? I don't care if they will change the specs of the CPU as it seems to be the least important part of a Mac nowadays. Also I don't buy the iMac as a gaming machine so I do not care that much about the GPU.

2. benjai macrumors member

iMac prices fall? About as likely as getting hit by lightning. Twice.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apples prices almost always stay solid until the next update, although they may go up if you live in a country who's currency is performing poorly (canada and aus got hammered by this a few months ago). You can get better specs for a better price by waiting for them to appear on the refurbished store if that is available in your country but other than that they won't change.

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Your best bet by far, is to get a good deal at a retailer, such as during Black Friday or similar.

5. mischraum thread starter macrumors newbie

mischraum

Thanks guys. Seems like I will go straight to my favourite store and order the thing. Black Friday wasn't that big of an issue in Germany at least not for an iMac.

6. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I am almost certain Black Friday wasn't a big thing in the Netherlands until this year. Ended up saving 10% of the price on my Air. I'm afraid your best shot now is to wait for post-Christmas sales.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you are (or know) a student, teacher or professor etc you may well be able to get the education discount that is pretty darn good.

8. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Another suggestion is in January last year the new iMac models started hitting the refurb store.

9. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Get something off the Apple refurb store. I just bought a 27" retina Imac i7 and LOVE it.

10. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Amazed that Black Friday is international at all, given that the date is tied to a USA holiday. Another victory by USA culture over civilization!

11. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting for Christmas Fairs to make their way over to the US. :)