How long until 10.5 is on refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by biblicalfury, Oct 7, 2007.

1. biblicalfury macrumors member

I'm planning on buying a refurbished MacBook sometime soon to replace my trusty, but aging, iBook. Any ideas on when 10.5 will be included with the refurbished models? It seems pointless to buy one now if I'm going to want to upgrade the OS before very long.

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

It normally takes some time to appear on there...a few months usually.

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

After Christmas is a generally a good time for returns. Expect early January. Sooner is just a matter of luck (good for you, bad for someone else).

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, which I am sure someone would be ecstatic to do anyways, but Apple treats the refurbs pretty much like new computers. You get the full warranty and the latest revision of normally bundled software, ie iLife and Mac OS. So once 10.5 is released I believe it will be be installed on those units which are refurbished after release, and those refurbished before the release but sold to the customer after release or after grace period Apple specifies will either get the OS disc included or you get the upgrade shipped to you. Usually there is a grace period of purchases made within a few weeks of a new OS for free upgrades, probably so Apple is not inundated with refunds for returned computers.

Just like if you had gone to say CompUSA after 10.4 was released but had gotten a Mac that had been sitting on the shelves for a while and still had 10.3 installed. You could get the upgrade to 10.4 for free. Perhaps paying shipping.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You'll have to wait until a Macbook shipped with 10.5 gets sent back. So considering that it's not out yet....

6. mwxiao macrumors regular

I don't think so. i believe Apple will refurb the machine and install a fresh OS on it. So as long as Leopard is shipped, they should install Leopard on a refurb machine.

So my guess is after Leopard is shipped.

Why not call Apple and ask?

7. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken, I got my iMac right after Tiger was released and it came with 10.3 pre-installed and a 10.4 upgrade disk.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As I recall, Apple throws in the new OS on DVD into the refurb box, it is not pre-installed for quite some time.

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Correct. When I worked for Apple - the night of the launch, we opened up all of the refreshed computers (refurb implies that there was a defect and it was sent back for repair - refresh is an open box return with nothing wrong) -- and toss in the OS upgrade disc, which was actually as good as a retail box.

You can always ask Apple when you are ready to buy. Get it emailed to you in writing so if it isn't right, you have a leg to stand on.

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

You could be wrong :)

I bought a refurb'd MBP after iLife 08 had come out. Yet, it still shipped with iLife '06 (as it said it would in the specs), while the SR refurbs shipped with '08. To me, this implies that you get whatever software originally came on the machine. Now, whether or not they "toss in" the upgrade to the latest and greatest -- that appears to be hit or miss. Some folks seem to have gotten iLife '08 discs with their refurbs, others not. I did try calling to ask for the upgrade but was essentially shoo'd away to go "ask the Apple Store." Not a big deal, as I did know up front it was only supposed to come with '06, but I had to try :)

11. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The refurbs sometimes come with the software that was originally installed on them. However, sometimes they come with unexpected hardware and software upgrades. And some forum members who did not receive the current software have successfully gone through AppleCare to get the current software.

Apple is only required to include the software that is in the item description.