Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I guess beginning of 2009...Intel just demoed a prototype Quad-core mobile processor for 'larger laptops' the other day...

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The earliest it could happen is towards the end of Q2 of next year if Apple is able to get the processors early like they have for a few of their processors. I think that towards the end of 2008 is more likely though.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
I'd like to dig up this thread, and give these guys a pat on the back, looks like they will be very accurate.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Probably not for a couple of years, if ever.

If you need a quad core, you need a Mac Pro.

I disagree, Mac Pro's will all move to minimum 8 core and 16 core configurations in the long run. Quad core will replace dual core as the standard. It will show up in iMacs in '09, especially if Apple want to compete with PC manufacturers such as DELL/HP etc. Dell already has a Core i7 quad core PC out, I believe it's called the Studio XPS for $1000

Secondly Apple have used desktop CPU's in iMac's before I don't see why they wouldn't again. It's always been a hybrid machine.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
an "insider source" which is highly "in the know" told my cousin that they will be available in about "three months".

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think it will come at MacWorld in early January. not for the cheapest ones maybe but at least a confiqure possibility and for the best iMac. Intel will come with those new quad-cores in early January as well so...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Apple has the option of switching to a desktop CPU with the next Nvidia chipset upgrade, this chipset was aimed at micro desktops, and Apple asked for a mobile version.

This simple switch would put the iMac between the notebooks and the Mac Pro in performance, instead of limited to the mobile end of the performance equation.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Quad core will replace dual core as the standard.
Absolutely. I'm surprised there's any doubt on this point, iMac or otherwise.

It will show up in iMacs in '09, especially if Apple want to compete with PC manufacturers such as DELL/HP etc. Dell already has a Core i7 quad core PC out, I believe it's called the Studio XPS for $1000
In fact, Intel is de-emphasizing dual-core on the high-end, and emphasizing quad-core there. It's only a matter of time before quad-core comes to the iMac, no matter how much Apple wants to keep quad-core GHz's the same or higher than dual-core GHz's.

Apple has the option of switching to a desktop CPU with the next Nvidia chipset upgrade, this chipset was aimed at micro desktops, and Apple asked for a mobile version.
Interesting. That fits in with the 65 W quad-core rumor and the MWSF iMac update rumor.

65 W does seem quite high for the iMac, so maybe if they go to micro desktop NVIDIA chipsets, the 20" could have desktop dual-cores and the 24" could have desktop 65 W quad-cores. Perfect for MWSF! :)

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Have been in Selfridges today playing on the brand new Sony quad core all in one PC. 4 gig ram and 1TB hard drive. 25.5 inch screen. Fast as f**k but man was the beast ugly and 90% black plastic. Even the keyboard felt cheap. There is a large piece of thin black plastic on the back to hide the place you pluc the power into and it just fell off at the slightest touch.

So quads are already in AIO computers. Apple should be right behind with a well made version. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.