How long until Apple gets sued for....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ephraim909, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ephraim909 macrumors member

The iPhone "Favorites" list.

Seems a little politically incorrect.

I mean, if kids aren't allowed to play tag on the playground anymore, how can I have a "Favorites" list and a clear conscience?

I'll be waiting...

;)

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

lol. I don't there is gonna be a suit over this, but with some of the money hungry people out there, I probably wouldn't be surprised to hear about it.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

They'd have to sue microsoft for having a 'favorites' in IE.

or T-Mobile for having 'myFaves'.

4. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

Why can't kids play tag anymore? And when did this happen.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Tag isn't allowed at my old elementary school. My littlest brother is in kindergarden there and the reasoning is kids could trip. No dodgeball either, but its been that way in Illinois for a while now... :(

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

British Bulldog was banned at my school,
    then tag...
    then footballs being brought in...
    then snow fights...
    then pokemon, football, playing cards, conkers and skipping ropes...
    and then anything that involved running...

God knows what the kids do nowadays, i hate to sound like an old fart, but I got cuts and graises all the time as a child, you just get up and get over it, the parents these days are a bunch of law suit starting pansies.

god i hate this country, oh no, now im a terrorist :|

urgh

(rant over)

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You'll have to excuse me, I'm American ;) , but what is British Bulldog?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It's this.

And ummm my favorites change all of the time and usually varies by which boy I decide to play text whore with. ;) I'm really kind of kidding about that ;)

9. hooly macrumors regular

hooly

basically, a bunch of kids (you need a big group, like 30 or 40) line up at either side of the playground in two groups: half at one side, half at the other.

some poor bugger goes in the middle.

at the signal, all the kids on one side have to get to the other. the guy in the middle has to stop as many as he can. how he 'stops' them depends on the specific 'rules', but normally he has to wrestle them onto the cold, hard concrete until that 'bout' is judged to be over*

then anyone who he successfully 'stopped' joins him, and they gradually grow in numbers until only a few fleet-footed hardcases remain charging back and forth.

so basically nosebleeds, broken arms, torn clothes, concussion, bullying... great game, I can't imagine why it was banned :cool:

*well that's how it was in scotland circa 1979 anyway ;)

we used to do a version of it in jui jitsu that allways left me with no skin on my feet. ouch !

10. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

It's the best game ever invented. Well, not really, but close.

Essentially, you have a bunch of people — usually 10-15 plus — and it's usually played indoors, or in an enclosed outdoor area (with adjacent walls). Either one or two of those playing are selected to be the 'bulldogs', typically the fastest involved. Everyone starts at one end, with the bulldogs in the middle. Once the game starts, everyone has to try and make it to the other side of the room (or the other wall, field, depending on where you end up playing). The bulldogs have to 'tag' people, and once they're tagged, they become a bulldog. The winner is the last person to be made a bulldog. There are lots of variations, but most of them are to do with adding rounds.

The 'lite' version of British Bulldog requires that you tag someone simply by touching them. This is probably the variation preferred by the Health & Safety Executive. The real version requires you to tackle people physically, basically by either a rugby tackle or just grabbing someone. Either version is noisy and very anarchic :D

*Wow, that was a bit long!

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

So according to that wikipedia article, the game 'red rover' came from British Bulldog. I was playing with my class in like 4th or 5th grade when a kids arm got pulled out of socket. Hm, might be why its banned...

BTW, I love how OT this has gotten. Sorry :rolleyes:

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

it's the universal hatred for the way things have changed nowadays, it can found in anyone british and anyone else over the age of 25 :p

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well it would seem T-Mobile should be sued as well with a My Fav list that is only 5 long.

Excuse me while I go lawyer up! ;)

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Crap, I'm American and 20yo... Maybe I am secretly British :cool:

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Deep down you are anyway!

16. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Nice try... My family immigrated from Italy in the early 1900's ;)

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

wow, I can't wait to see the generation of kids this will spawn... looks good for the emo camp...

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

LAME even fireworks are banned. stupid people in power got to enjoy them and then they decide we cant

owell i still shoot them when i can

and now i want to play red rover

19. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Now thats precisely how I remember it as well......ah the good old days :D

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Anyone fancy starting a "nostalgia/rant about how things were different in your day" thread?

21. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

British Bulldog was the only thing I enjoyed about scouts.

22. motownflip macrumors regular

23. gotzero macrumors 68040

Kids are not allowed to run or play, and we complain about the obesity epidemic...

My favorite is the rubberized playground bark, coupled with the playground toys lowered to about 6" off of the ground... I worry that when I have children I am going to be vilified for allowing them to play in instances where they could get hurt. To me, nothing is more valuable than a lesson learned hard and fast. I think we are doing our society a great disservice by making everyone terrified of being injured or fatigued, and therefore never leaving the warm glow of the TV.

AbiYng, I lived in Carbondale when I was a little one. Small world. Our playgrounds were all splintering wood and searing-hot metal, nice and high off of the ground. All much safer than the non-playground topography around there. It makes for some good memories and lessons learned.

Anyway, the iphone favorites thing annoyed me, just like speed-dial on other phones. I like having to take a couple of steps to purposefully call people. I still start calling people on accident by fat-fingering the recents list, so I often end up deleting it and calling from contacts.

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You're speaking our language though. :)

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm sorry, could I see your receipt for that, please? ;)

Actually, "English" is more German than Brit, plus French, and Roman (explains the accents in all the toga movies), and Scandinavian, and, and...

I am an American.

My forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in Europe.

I speak the language native to my land. Spanish.

:p