Carrier How long until AT&T officially announces Wi-Fi calling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avanpelt, Sep 16, 2015.

1. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Am I correct that once AT&T users upgrade from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9.0, they should be able to activate Wi-Fi calling so long as they're on a Mobile Share Value plan? If that's the case, I'm surprised that AT&T hasn't made an official announcement about Wi-Fi calling yet. I'm particularly interested to see how they'll handle Wi-Fi calling while abroad. Is Wi-Fi calling still able to be activated by folks running the GM?

2. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

Probably once it's more widely available than what it currently is now. You should be able to activate today after the iOS 9 update pending availability in your city.

3. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Wait, what? "As long as they're on a Mobile Share Value plan"?????? That's horsesh**. Just another way they're going to screw the unlimited data grandfathers.

/ohwell

4. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

Actually, people who aren't on Mobile Share Value plans may be in luck. I've seen several recent posts now from people with UDPs who have said that they're now seeing that instead of having 700 minutes or 1400 minutes with rollover, their plans now say "Unlimited minutes" and they've also retained their unlimited data. My guess is that having unlimited minutes on the plan is a prerequisite for being able to use Wi-Fi calling.

5. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Ha. That sounds too good to be true. Unlimited calling and "unlimited" data...can't imagine that scenario ever going down.

6. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

It looks to me like the ability for AT&T customers to use Wi-Fi calling was removed from the final release of iOS 9.

I didn't install any of the iOS 9 betas but I just installed the final release of 9.0. I went to Settings --> Cellular and there is an option for "Wi-Fi Assist" at the very bottom that's turned on but I don't see any option for Wi-Fi calling. Bummer.

7. Wise87 macrumors 6502

Anyone else not seeing the option after updating?

8. dmystic1 macrumors regular

It is still active on my iPhone 6 which is currently running 9.1 Public Beta. It also still worked when I had the 9.0 GM installed. My 6 Plus, which I never ran on a beta has the option but when you turn it on I get the Opps message saying it is not available in my area yet.

9. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

Let me look again. I thought the toggle was supposed to be in Settings --> Cellular but maybe I'm in the wrong place.

10. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

My mistake. The option to toggle Wi-Fi calling is there. It's in Settings --> Phone. Sorry for the confusion. I can't enable it yet, either. I get the "Oops" error when I attempt to do so.

11. RobNYC macrumors 6502

EDIT: Never mind you just found it. I get the same error when trying to activate it.

12. FredV macrumors member

FredV

IMG_2082.PNG

13. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

In the past, after upgrading to a new version of iOS, a little while later I would get a message saying that I needed to update to the latest AT&T "Carrier version". I'm on 8.4.1 with AT&T 20.0. Does 9.0 need AT&T 21.0?

14. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68020

After upgrading from 8.4.1 to 9.0, I'm at Carrier version "AT&T 21.0.1".

15. b1scu1t macrumors regular

I just tweeted out to ATT and they responded back saying that they are waiting for FCC approval before enabling wide spread wifi calling.

16. Havok83 macrumors regular

AT&T didnt have it yet? Even Sprint did and they tend to lag behind

17. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

I would imagine we'll get a text similar to the "Unlimited talk" text that UDP folks are receiving when WIFI calling is enabled...

18. Epyon790 macrumors member

As far as I know AT&T was testing wifi calling on the beta, but for public release they are disabling until they are ready.
    But i don't know what the big deal is for wifi calling. My service is perfect almost everywhere, or at least good enough to make a call.
    Unlike Sprint and T-Mobile who needed this to complement their network, AT&T and Verizon don't.

19. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

I noticed a toggle and tried to switch it on after updating to iOS 9. Says it's not available in my area.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

So I would be able to ditch my microcell? Can't wait!

21. Renho macrumors 6502a

Renho

I just tried to enable wifi calling and it said not available in my area.....BS Come on FCC approve this ****

22. b1scu1t macrumors regular

My voice service is fine practically everywhere, save for my work. I work pretty much in the center of the building and I barely get any phone calls. I do have wifi and this should make a difference(unless my work blocks the ports ATT uses for their wifi calling).

23. AnthonySager macrumors member

I got a text last night from AT&T that the wifi calling beta is over and is now available nationwide. It asked me to update from the GM to the final 9.0 release. Wifi calling is working perfectly

24. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Where are you. I need it in my house. Only place it is weak. I am in a valley with lots of trees. Usually one bar. Called ATT last night and they said an Apple problem. They transferred me to Apple and they had no clue and both needed my IMEI number to do anything. Big joke. Maybe I can get some kind of signal extender from ATT in my house for voice.

25. BrentT macrumors member

BrentT

On 9/16 at noon it became active on my iPhone 6 running GM 9.0. After updating OTA with the 43MB update WiFi calling disappeared (I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia). I reactivated it but it has yet to reappear on my phone. I got the message last evening that the beta was over and that I needed to upgrade.

Questions: Does WiFi calling only appear if the cell signal is weak? Is that why WiFi calling disappeared for me after the update?