How long until iPads from an apple store will sell with 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by willber, Nov 22, 2010.

1. willber macrumors member

I am getting an iPad in the next couple of weeks, and a friend was going to bring me back one from America.

I would like to save the money, but not if it means it will come with ios4.2 as I wish to jailbreak.

I know this is really hard to gauge but hopefully someone with previous experience can help me; does anyone know how long it would be until the iPad's sold by an Apple store will come preinstalled with 4.2?

Dont hate if its a ridiculous question, I'm just hoping someone might have some idea from a previous experience of buying an iOS device shortly after release of new firmware.

2. willber thread starter macrumors member

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It probably will be a week or two, but even if it comes with 4.2 there should be a jailbreak available soon. I thought I'd heard that they already had one and were just waiting for the release of 4.2 so Apple didn't patch it before the release. But I could be wrong though.

4. willber thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks for that, I'll probably hold out and wait to get it from America.
    I'm pretty sure it is still being worked on to become untethered, and cydia has to be updated, and then cydia tweaks/apps have to be updated by the developers. Could be a while before 4.2 jailbreak is running as smooth as 3.2.2 is.

5. JulianL macrumors 65816

It can't possibly be less than a week can it? There's no way they'll open and reseal all the boxes so it has to be installed at the factory in China during the manufacturing process. I wouldn't have thought that they'd press the go button on changing the factory pre-install until the same time as they absolutely decided to push the update out via iTunes so that was maybe last Thursday or Friday which means that the delay will be whatever the delay is between a unit being boxed in China and it appearing in the local retail outlet.

Does anyone know how products are shipped once they're mature? I know that on launch day they're all air freighted from China but once the supplies are up and running and they have some idea of monthly demand I would have thought that Apple would try to squeeze out every last bit of margin out of each unit and would be using high volume sea container shipping to keep the stores supplied rather than (presumeably) more expensive air freight.

- Julian

6. willber thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks everyone for their opinion.
    My friend should be getting it tonight so considering 4.2 was released on Monday I think its impossible for me to get one with 4.2, better not speak too soon though!

7. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Remember, to back up your SSH soon as you get one so you can downgrade to 4.2.1 when Apple puts out 4.3.

8. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Will it matter if it's pre-installed or not since iTunes will check for the latest update anyways?

9. willber thread starter macrumors member

iTunes will check for the latest update yes, but you have the choice to decline the update

10. imacken macrumors 65816

Even if it does come with 4.2, you can just downgrade to 3.2.2 anyway.
    I don't see what the big deal is here, sorry.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Is apple still signing SHSH for 3.2.2 on the iPad? I thought that went away as soon as 4.2.1 dropped, so in that case you couldn't downgrade.