How long until iphone4 is sold unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lemonsoon, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Lemonsoon macrumors member

I am sick and tired of ATT and their abysmal service. I am praying that Apple is under contract not to announce that ATT's exclusivity is going to end soon hopefully in a couple of months.

What is the word on the street on this? I really think people should be able to use the hardware they bough on whatever service provider they want. I never understood this system just like I would not understand my TV only working if I had Comcast as a cable provider.

Someone please tell me that ATT is going to lose exclusivity soon.

2. Lemonsoon thread starter macrumors member

Also has anybody tried to buy an iphone in Australia unlocked and brought it back to the US...how does it work? Any issues with it and what service provider are you using?

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The contract would expire 3 years from when it originated, which would be June 2007. It's probably a specific date, but I would say their exclusivity would be over by July 1st, 2010. At the same time, recent documents have surfaced that the original agreement was 5 years and not 3, which would throw everything off.

Either way, a JB for iPhone 4 and 4.0 must come before an unlock, and that won't happen until the end of June when both are released. Therefore, don't expect an unlock until the beginning of July at the earliest.

4. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

The contract has been stated to indeed last for five years, not three. iOS 4.0 has already been jailbroken.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In the US? Until legislation or an FCC mandate is passed requiring it. The most recent ruling I've seen has an exception for the iPhone (Grrrrr).

So yeah...for now...not happening anytime soon in the US. Even if AT&T looses exclusivity.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right, the OS has, but not on iPhone 4, where the baseband may differ, or a hardware limitation may exist. Just some food for thought.

7. Lemonsoon thread starter macrumors member

If Iphones are sold unlocked in Australia without being jailbroken then I think that is the only way I am going to get a v4. With all the dropped calls I get on 3G with ATT I really don t see facetime as working properly, especially if that is going to tax their crappy network even more.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

But the only other carrier you can use in the US it T-Mobile and their network isn't all that great and your data will be stuck on EDGE!! :eek: (the iPhone doesn't support the frequency T-Mobile uses for 3G)

9. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

There are dozens of localized GSM carriers. Cincinnati Bell comes to mind, as do many others.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Oops...true. :eek: Forget that Dallas isn't the center of the world. :p