Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
The first batch seem crap quality. How long do you think it will take for them to find & fix the problem to begin shipping none damaged iphones? I'm really put off buying one after seeing these photos of damage iphones out of the box plus the anodized aluminum seems bad choice for a phone, the colour just chips away easily.

KingCoop

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
The first batch seem crap quality. How long do you think it will take for them to find & fix the problem to begin shipping none damaged iphones? I'm really put off buying one after seeing these photos of damage iphones out of the box plus the anodized aluminum seems bad choice for a phone, the colour just chips away easily.

All I can say is the one I received from Apple.com had a blemish in the metal and the exchanged one that the Apple Store opened up had a scratch running along the top of the antenna band. So we sat there and the tech had to process three returns/exchanges and needed the assistance of the in-store Verizon reps to keep resetting my upgrade eligibility to allow for an even exchange.

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
My preorder was perfect. No quality issues whatsoever.

If you're worried about the quality of the phone, you have two options:
1. Don't get the iPhone 5.
2. Get the iPhone 5 and bring it in to an Apple Store if you're not satisfied with it.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The one I got is perfect.

You do realize that there are probably way more "perfect" iPhones than defective/damaged ones, right? The problem is that the happy people tend to not say anything, while the unhappy people are much more vocal.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I just picked mine up from the Apple store today. This thing is mint. I was worried to open my box up from reading all the horror stories...:( I got the second to last 64 GB they had.. I was/am pumped :cool:

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I had a giant scuff on my screen ! Sad that the 8 year old workers in China didn't give a crap

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
We received two 16GB Black in mint condition. Beautiful phones. Our neighbor's white was mint also.

These were late August and early September builds, already in stateside warehouse by the time pre-orders started. What build dates were the ones you've seen problems with?

AnotherBrian

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Sorry there will always be a little quality issues no matter who makes them, but mine looks great and runs like a champ. Just take it back and exchange, most likely it will be fine.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010

All million or so they shipped this week, not sure if the whole batch is bad.

I would agree that maybe they have some QC issues and they will get better.

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Mine is just fine as well. Purchased it at a Verizon store after work Friday afternoon, in and out in less than 30 minutes.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I've had three phones so far, two whites ones have been perfect, as far as I can tell. The black one had a couple of tiny chips on the side edge. I took it back and swapped for the white one that's fine.

None have had any other flaws that I've noticed.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

2. Get the iPhone 5 and bring it in to an Apple Store if you're not satisfied with it.

So wait.....you are saying it should be normal to buy a phone at one store and then have to take it to a different store to get one that is good? And I know this might be hard to understand but there is not an Apple store on every corner.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The one I got is perfect.

You do realize that there are probably way more "perfect" iPhones than defective/damaged ones, right? The problem is that the happy people tend to not say anything, while the unhappy people are much more vocal.

Nice try, but there's no credibility here. People that get good ones are always cocky. Happens all the time.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
I received my 64gb black pre-order from apple.com.
Didn't open it only because it was created by mistake (new line).
I went to Apple Store today and told the guy that I want to do a return and buy it back on full retail price. For some reason, it doesn't process a complete return, it pops a message transaction failed. He tried to call apple.com hotline but the support on the phone knows less than what we know by apple's policy plus giving us wrong infos about the ETF. He went to his manager for the 3rd time and he know that the apple support is no help for them at all. He then went at the back and excuse himself and came back with a new one and told me just mail the one I received and he'll let me buy the one on his hand. Just so happen the shipment just came :)
I paid for it and added Apple Care+ and asked for in house Verizon Rep, eventhough I know I wouldn't have a problem doing it by myself online, but I wanna be on the safe side for my UDP. That's the time I opened the iPhone and was glad that I don't see any visible scuffs or fading paint on the bezel. Right then I went to Cellairis and got myself a case and had them install a screen protector. I am sad for those who have issues with phone, I guess it's not at all by batch it could be random in a batch. who knows! But they would double their QC I guess with this issue. if you order it with apple.com you will receive a good customer service and they will let you return the iphone and exchange until you get your satisfaction.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Damn, you sure are helpful.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.