How long until Visual Voice Mail messages are auto-erased?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Surely, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Surely Guest

Surely

Does anyone have an answer to this question? I tried to find it on AT&T's site and Apple's site, but no dice.

It looks like I've lost a bunch of voice mail messages, and I sure didn't erase them. Is it only a 14, 30, or 45 day save time? Are we informed of this anywhere?

As an aside, I also noticed that the iPhone is not playing a prominent role on the AT&T Wireless site anymore. It used to be on the main page, but now you have to click on the 'Shop For Phones' and then the 'Shop For All Phones' links to get to an iPhone.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe it's 30 days, like most voicemail systems.

Visual Voicemail isn't really a system DIVORCED from AT&T's regular voicemail system, it's just a layer that resides on top of it for the benefit of the iPhone. I agree it's kind of silly to have auto-deletes on a system that can download messages onto a device with as much local storage as the iPhone, but there it is. :eek:

3. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

If you're right, then thanks for the info.

Would it have been so hard for Apple or AT&T to actually inform us of that? Maybe even in fine point text on the VVM screen?

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I can confirm (from experience) that it's 30 days. I don't know why they don't make that clear.

5. Surely thread starter Guest

Surely

6. paulold macrumors 6502

Related question

The voicemail messages are stored on the iPhone itself, right? I can listen to mine even if I am in airplane mode.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

They are, but they are also stored on AT&T's voicemail system, so that you can call their system from other phones and access your messages like you would with any other handset. Since the iPhone has to "sync" with this system (effectively), it will remove the messages from your phone when they no longer exist on AT&T's system.