How Long - Wait or Buy for MB or MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sebpayne, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. sebpayne macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    #1
    I've just posted off my 17" MBP that I sold on eBay today, as I am planning on getting a smaller, more portable machine. At the moment, I'm working on a last generation PowerBook G4 12" that is rather small, loud and doesn't charge properly. I can't do any photography work on it so I'm not sure how long I can wait for these machines - what are people's thoughts on when they will arrive?

    I'm honestly not bothered about iPods, MobileMe, printers or any special offers as I don't really need any of them, I am just looking for a portable and usable machine. The only thing holding me back from the Air is the Aperture performance as I do a fair bit of photography and I'm unsure how it will cope. Beyond that, there is nothing that bothers me and I would have purchased it already, with the viewing to upgrading the internal hard disk to 120gb some day.

    I'm really just waiting to see what the new MacBooks bright. If it's a bit faster, LED backlighting but most importantly, lighter! I'm a undergrad CompSci student that will use it every day and I'm running a radio station too, so I want a machine I can have everywhere with all the important stuff needed. I sold the MBP as I was sick of having two machines and want to scale down to one.

    Any thoughts, opinions, advice or abuse on my case are welcome :)
     
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    well, I have been thinking about this too.

    This is my 2 cents. If you can't wait, get the MBA. Try a refurb as the prices there make the MBA very attractive. SSD drive as well? ;)

    If you can wait, the new macbooks which are rumored to be aluminium is quite appealing. However, I wouldn't count on it being significantly lighter. Not close to the MBA at least.
     
  3. sebpayne thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    #3
    Rather good advice thanks! There is a possibility nothing new could come before Macworld! I'll have a think and keep an eye on what is happening. The SSD sounds good for the speed but 64gb, I'd have to limit it to music, documents and applications on the main drive!
     

Share This Page