how long was your mac air repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acorn, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Like many others my ssd drive died in my mac air. it had that craptastic sandforce toshiba drive. Those who have the same repair how long does it typically take. They told me a "few" days. its been over a week with the under repair status since the day I dropped it off.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They usually quote me a week, but most happen in two days or less.

The only exception was my Mac Pro which took a full month due to the fact they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my computer. :(

3. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Shouldn't be much longer if it's been a week...

4. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

well hopefully it wont take a month. she did say they had to order the drive. so im thinking ive been waiting for parts all this time. it shouldnt take a week to change out a drive. all you have to do is take off the bottom and remove one screw for petes sake.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw some posts in other threads that people were told the drive was backordered, so that may be the delay.

6. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I needed a screen replaced on my old MBA and took it into the Glasgow store around 10:00am. Was told it could take upto 5 days, but they might get it done that day. Left it with them and went to see Prometeus and by the time it had finished I'd received a SMS to say it was ready to collect.

Was most impressed with :apple: that day!

7. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

it seems when apple has the parts they are fast. but when the parts are not available the computer just collects dust.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

What else is possible ? Loaner SSDs ?

9. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

no. they are waiting on the exact part I had which was a crappy toshiba. if I knew they were replacing the drive with a samsung I wouldnt mind waiting. I dont like waiting weeks only to have the same faulty part put back in. I didnt buy an apple to have it serviced every year. I have already read different places where users have said they had the same toshiba drive replaced with another toshiba and it too has failed. Im not looking for a temporary fix.

10. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Product recall, that's what we want !

11. Sonnestah macrumors regular

After waiting for a little over two weeks, Apple called me yesterday saying they had no ssds left in stock and they didn't know when it would change, so they would collect my 2012 macbook air and replace it for a new 2013 model. Now as mine was customised, I have to wait 3 more weeks for it to arrive.

Being in Brazil, I am impressed that they are simply giving me a new one... at the expense of having a 5 week wait.

Not great but not bad either

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Too bad on the timeline, but in the end that works out nicely for you.

13. Acorn, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

i got my laptop back. it took about 10 days. it was replaced with the same toshiba drive. guess i will be bringing it in next year

*EDIT

I got to take it back in. they shattered my camera. I went to use facetime and it was really fuzzy and screwy. looked at the camera under the light and its shattered. they crushed it somehow replacing the drive. sigh.