How long will Apple do service for 17 inch MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CyberGhostface, Feb 8, 2014.

1. CyberGhostface macrumors newbie

Since it's a discontinued model, how much longer will they do services and repairs for the 17 inch Macbook pro?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Depends on which model 17-inch MBPro you have.
    The first MBPro 17-inch was sold new until October 2006. It has limited support, as a "vintage" product. Some MBPros from 2008 are in that same support status. (so, estimate about 5 years from when it was last sold new)

The last 17-inch was sold new until June 2012

If your 17-inch is the most recent one, even though it is no longer sold new, should have support from Apple until (probably) 2017, although that time period for Obsolete status can vary depending on the model (and the circumstances)

4. CyberGhostface thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the recent model. So past 2018 if I need a battery replacement they might not be able to help?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Smart money would say get yourself a new battery in 2017 or as soon as they announce a date for discontinue of support - although consumable items like batteries can often go on for as long as there is reasonable demand.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think the battery will continue to be considered an exhaustible part (it might fail, but usually is replaced because it is simply worn out through use), and Apple may continue to have spares for replacement, but might not procure new batteries. So, I would expect that if a service shop has a battery on the shelf, and it's the one you need, you can get it replaced.
    And, new batteries should be available from third-party suppliers, like batteries for most laptops that are discontinued.
    Other kinds of parts, like keyboards or case parts, will mean searching, and won't be a normal service option at an Apple shop.

7. randy98mtu, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

My late 2011 just stopped responding to the power button. I'm taking it to see a genius tonight. I'm honestly hoping they'll offer me an upgrade but I'm not optimistic. Took 3 repair attempts on my iMac before they replaced it. I did go from a 24 to a 27 in that exchange though.

Edit: Just needed an smc reset. I didn't know the key combination to do it. Command option shift power.