How long will Apple ios updates for ipad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kristoffer4, Oct 25, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I mean if it only has 512 mb of ram and A5 CPU how long will they be able to support it?
    A year, tops? :confused:

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1ghz dualcore cou, and 512MB is quite a bit.
    You'll be fine.

They are still supporting the 256mb 3GS with iOS6.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Obviously no thought was put into this post if you think that it will only be supported for a year.

4. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

You never know, maybe it will be just a year, who knows what's Apples's next step ? Look what have happened recently, you do the math :)

5. SeanR1 macrumors 6502

SeanR1

But not the 256mb iPad.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Traditionally Apple supports iOS devices for at least 1 year or 1 iOS (major) update after it stops selling it. This is FAR superior to the industry standard.

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

There is a chart online somewhere, it's something like 3 years.

8. MRiOS macrumors regular

I was wondering this myself. I know that the 3G(S) is still "Supported" in iOS6 but really all that 3G(S) owners got was a version number and only a fraction of actual features over iOS5. But then we think about the iPad. I've got an original Gen iPad, which has a faster CPU and the exact same amount of RAM as the 3G(S), but got cut out of the iOS6 party. By all speculative intents, it would seem that the iPad 2 would be the next iPad on the chopping block for iOS7. So if the iPad mini shares the same specs as the iPad 2, how then could Apple justify an iOS update for the mini and not the iPad 2?

tldr: iPad mini shares specs as iPad 2, iPad2 next on iOS chop block for exclusion. How many updates are we really to expect?

(those pointing to Apple "supporting" yeah they will support the hardware for however long you purchase for, 1-3 years, but they say nowhere that they will support software versions beyond what ships. though they do have a history of allowing previous gens to run at least 1 new iOS version before EOL)

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, 2-3 years, and 2 major OS updates.
    iPad started with 3, and got 4 and 5.
    iPhone 3G started with 2, and got 3 and 4.
    etc.

----------

Lets compare your claim with reality.
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/tempting-fate-installing-ios-6-on-the-iphone-3gs/

----------

[/COLOR]
    iPad started with iOS3, and got major updates 4 and 5. You were OK with the device as you paid for it. And it's 2 major updates since. I don't understand any beef with this. It's more than any other device manufacturer will give you. They aren't going to spend engineering hours to support you for eternity.

iPad stopped being sold in March 2011. iOS 6 is a full 18mo past the selling of new devices.

iPhone 3GS was still being sold as new on contract in Sept 2012 when iOS6 launched. So for those customers, they continued to support it.

iPad 2 started with iOS4, and has gotten 5 and 6 upgrades. It would be done, but because they are still selling it as new, direct from Apple. I expect it will get iOS 7 as well.

iPad Mini has started with 6. It will get 7. History suggests it will get 8, but there is no contract with Apple that says you will. *shrug*

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's not NO because I said "at least" a year after Apple stops selling it (2 years from now minimum but probably longer). The OP's fear that the mini will not be supported next year (iOS7) because of the RAM is incorrect.

Also I would be willing to bet a ¢ or two that next year we get a mini Retina and the current mini gets a lower price ($249ish) and continues to be sold (iPad 2 style).

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes 2 refreshes like iPad in order for them to push retina panels cheap enough.