How long will battery last for just pure Safari Browsing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jay81, Sep 25, 2007.

1. jay81 macrumors member

a) Brightness on the lowest level
    b) no music or anything going on in the background

does 3-4 hours sound about right?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

In practice about 2 hours if you're lucky. Wifi is a big power drain.

4. jay81 thread starter macrumors member

thanks...i would say about 2-3 hours from a fully charged battery. I worry about the day I have to replace the battery and how much its going to cost.

Hopefully it will last a good 2 years lol

5. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The battery is in about the same league as a small laptop... 2-3 hrs. If you really need more juice than this then consider getting a small plug in iPod charger and put it on a wall outlet.

Personally I'm happy with the dimensions. I wouldn't trade an extra hour or two of wifi battery time if the unit was twice as thick.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I get about 4.5 hrs with Firefox, NeoOffice, Airport ON, BT OFF and have the brightness about 2-3 bars from the lowest.

2-3 hours is a bit low...unless you have the screen brighter (possibly on brightness with BT ON)

7. pederg macrumors member

talking bout the iPod touch here mate.. :rolleyes:

8. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

They were talking about Safari on the iPod.

9. 03sho macrumors 6502a

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

How many people are posting their actual battery times, and how many are just speculating on what the battery life is? (hard to tell from some of the posts.)

I have read different reports on this. Some people have said 2-3 hours, others have said 4-5. Gizmodo (or some big tech site) did a pure wifi test on the iPhone (reloading an web page every 10 seconds until the battery died), and they got in the range of 5 hours wifi IIRC. The Touch will be less, but if you were to scale based on the music and video playback times (which is probably a reasonable first stab at it), the Touch should still get pretty good results with wifi.

When I had a Touch with screen issues, my impression was that the battery would definitely last more than 2 hours, but I wasn't running any sort of test so I don't know how long. My main feeling is that the battery will last as long as you really want to surf on a 320 x 480 device in a day or 2. The Touch is great for here and there web surfing, but if I'm going to spend more than an hour or so actively surfing, then I'll probably be doing it on a regular computer instead.

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Browsing the other night for an hour about half the battery was gone, so I just doubled it.

4-5 hours I'd *really* doubt unless you switched the backlight off completely.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I agree, it definitely wouldn't be worth it. But have you seen the teardown pics? The battery is really thin. Even adding 2 mm to the thickness to allow for a thicker battery would give it noticeably more juice. But it's still basically a judgement call either way, I'm happy with the battery life as is. Actually considering the thinness of the unit and what it can do, I'm very impressed.

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The other thing that significantly affects battery time is the strength of your wifi connection. The better your signal strength, the less power is needed to drive the wifi radio. Your surfing habits will also affect the battery life, whether routinely go to multimedia heavy pages, etc.

My wireless router is located pretty centrally in my house, so I get a good signal everywhere. That probably helped maximize my battery life with wifi.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

What device are you referring to? Most laptops get 2-3 hours, yes, some get more than that.

15. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The old iBooks were great! ;)

16. RyanG macrumors 6502

I get about 3.5-4.5 hours on WiFi. I don't know why some of you are getting so low.

17. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

hehe, looks like I should 1) get more sleep 2) read the whole post

Referring to Macbook/Pro. Asked my friends and they're getting about 4 hours (asked 8 with MB and 3 with MBP to be more accurate).

18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I used Safari on my iPod touch (no music playing) for roughly 90 minutes today between classes on the campus wifi using WPA2 encryption. It used 1/2 to 2/3 of my battery, according to the displayed gauge.

EDIT - Display brightness was set to "auto", but it looked to be set pretty high on the brightness scale. I didn't think to check it or try to set it manually.

19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

people, dont be stupid, we are in an ipod touch thread...:cool:

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

on apples site (under the tech spes for ipt) the battaery replacement program is 60 bucks i believe. they just send you a new ipod in exchange for old one.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

he was clearly asking about the computer in that post you quoted

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

On my returned device, I got 2hrs and 50 minutes when 20% warning popped up. So My estimation is ~3.5Hrs

23. seanm924 macrumors newbie

I seem to get about 3-3.5 hours of browsing with the screen on pretty low and music playing part of the time