How long will it actually be before we see the Penryn-Based MBPs? What about price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I'm a Mac, Dec 4, 2007.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

Should I wait for penryn? How much of a price difference will you think it will be? And how long do you think it'll be before it hit stores? And does penryn bring anything other than a speed bump?

I can get a MacBook Pro 15"2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, 256 megabytes video RAM, with 3 year applecare for $2,270 from my school apple store. I do a little HD video editing, but that's the only "powerful" thing I do?

Do you think I'm better off waiting for Penryn? My school store says that they decide to stock it based on what kind of "deal" apple gives them. Advice, please?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You'll be waiting a longish time, since the only Penryns that are out so far are desktop and server versions.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

well, as always, the question is, how badly do you need it? That's a great price on a great computer that you have available to you now, but if you can wait, the next gen will only be even better.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

it might be a while until your school has them in stock. the probably aren't going to receive them right away so if thats the only place you want to buy it you might now want to wait if you need it now. if you can wait and don't need it, then i would

5. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I am personally waiting an will use my 20% discount I get with my Apple ADC membership.

6. PP133 macrumors member

7. PP133 macrumors member

8. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks for your advice. But another question: How do you get the best deal on a 17" MBP? They're so damn expensive! Although, what drives me nuts is that applecare is so much. Has anyone had any success with using an ADC discount? Can you walk into a store and do it? Any details? Or do you have to order online/ is there a long process.

P.S. Can you buy applecare separately? Does anyone's school offer it separate?

9. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

You must be a student and be enrolled in an University. You must buy the the ADC Student Membership ($100). You must then activate the membership by faxing in your ID and your current/future schedule or your tuition bill. Then you order online at the Develeper Store. Also, this discount is once-per-lifetime so if you have done it once you can't do it again so I would make this purchase a big one. Once the computer is released, I will be paying $2300 for a Macbook Pro Penryn High-End model 15.4". $2000 for the computer, $100 for the membership, and $200 for tax vs. $2530 for the computer with tax with a student discount. Also, the student membership gives you a copy of Leopard and xcode. You can even offset the cost by selling Leopard if you wish.

10. PP133 macrumors member

Wow, thanks for the info on ADC...I happen to still be in school and am looking forward to acquiring a MBP in January, this'll definitely help!

I'm curious, you stated the price that you intend to pay for the high-end MBP...How did you come up with that figure?

11. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

It is an approximate figure. The High-End MBP is $1,999. The ADC Student Membership is $99. Tax is 8.25% or $173.25 on the computer and ADC so I rounded up and got that figure. The savings are even more dramatic when you compare ADC vs. Regular rather than ADC vs. Student. Another advantage of this is that you can configure your computer however you want and get a 20% discount on all the options. The RAM is still way overpriced though.

12. PP133 macrumors member

Ah, gotcha. I was looking at using my student discount before, but this is at least $100 cheaper.

On the topic of system configuration, if I were to buy a 7200 rpm 2.5" drive on newegg, or wherever, can I easily install it into the mbp? I've installed laptop drives before but never on an Apple. Also, I'm planning on buying the 3 year apple care plan, does swapping the HD void my warranty? And finally, more of an advanced question, has anyone put a new drive in an Apple and installed the OS on it? Is there any formatting that needs to happen or do you just slap the CD in and boot from it?

13. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I am going to upgrade my HDD when I buy it because it is only $160 upgrade and if I go through Apple, it will not void my warrenty. If you upgrade the HDD in the current design it will void your warrenty but, if they redesign the new MBP, it may not void the warrenty because they may add user replaceable HDD's.