Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Not that i would ever do this but you could play the movies through a dvd recorder and burn the movie to dvd that way. If the movie is copyright protected you could use a filter to romove this copyright protection. One of these filters can be purchased at circuit city or best buy.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Of course it isn't legal... can you go in and just take movies off of the shelf of your local rental store without ever returning them? No (and don't say Netflix, because you're still paying a monthly fee, irregardless of if you send the discs back or not).

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Anyone know how I can rob a convenient store without a gun and without getting caught? How long before this technology is implemented? Is this the right forum?

...just say'n.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
I'm sure the copy protection will be cracked (it always is and has been for iTunes 6 with programs like myFairTunes).

I'd wager that most people aren't interested in using iTunes to pirate media, however. Why pay $15 for a movie or $4 for a rental on iTunes when you can just get the same movie from BitTorrent for free?

That said, the irritating DRM and lack of selection the movie industry forces on vendors is enough to make me want to get my movies off of BitTorrent sometimes! They really need to do a better job of getting consumers what they want so we can purchase/rent movies legally.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
If you're going to pay $3-$5 then crack the encryption, why would you just get Netflix and get it straight from the DVD, or go to your local movie rental place when they have dollar rentals. It's just as easy. The only reason they don't do this with CD's is because there aren't many CD rental places (my local library has some CD's I guess).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.