How Long Will It Last?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Secret Legend, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Secret Legend macrumors newbie

Hey guys so I recently picked up a octo or 8 core mac pro with 12 gigs of ram 2x quad 2.93 GHz Xeon with a GTX 285, and 2 cinema displays( two 30 inch). Btw I have been saving up for many years for a great system and I finally got there :) Its a great upgrade from a 2.66 GHz iMac. But anyways how long do you think my Mac Pro Will last me in years, because I spent so much money on it, I just want to know a good time to upgrade to a new machine. So basically how many years do you think I could get out of my Mac Pro and that includes like upgrading ram and Graphics.

Heres what I do with my Mac Pro:
    - Hell of a lot of encoding
    - Final Cut Studio
    - Adobe CS5
    - 4D Cinema
    - Modo
    - Lots of 3D Modeling and Rendering
    - And some games in Bootcamp here and there.

So how long do you think it will be until I should buy a whole new machine?

Any responses are greatly appreciated :) :apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Five to seven years, last year I worked on an old G4 PowerMac to edit broadcast video (albeit in SD), which was built in 2003.

3. Orange™ macrumors 6502

A while for sure!

My father is using his Power Mac G4 which according to appleserialnumberinfo.com, was built OVER ten years ago.

Sure it's slow, but it still works. :)

4. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Wow, nice rig!

I think it will last as long as you can stand it.

Eventually, CS6 will come out, followed by CS7, on up until CSX, hahaha... anyway, along with that will come hexacores, hexadecacores, tetraicosacores, and so on (but probably never more than tetrahexacontacore... LOL) which will leave your piddly little octacore in the dust, and you'll have to decide if it's good enough or not.

My philosophy on upgrades is when I encounter an issue that can be overcome with an upgrade, I check my wallet against my imagination and patience to work around it. Once the erosion of my patience matches my checking account, I upgrade.

If money were no object for you, you might say it will last until the very next Mac Pro comes out!

5. Secret Legend thread starter macrumors newbie

Great response I am starting to think that my mac pro will at least have to last me 10 years for the money I put into it and I will be maxing out all the upgrades along the way so I figure 10 years is a good estimate and it will probably still be running smooth at the 10 years *Hopefully*

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well at 10yrs old, the caps are likely to go, so I wouldn't expect a system to work longer than that. Unless the caps are replaced (preferably before they go entirely as to prevent other damage from occurring).

Whether or not it will still be usable for the initial purpose, it's doubtful IMO, given the nature of software bloat that tends to accompany new versions. But it could be re-tasked to something less strenuous. :)

7. Secret Legend thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean *the caps* :confused:

8. Ape_Man macrumors newbie

If you are trying to make a living out of that rig you will probably want to swap the box in 2 - 3 years. I always upgrade when a new rig will cut my render times in half. This can literally mean many weeks and saved per year in 3D and After effects rendering. Which means a lot more time for extra work, so extra money to buy the new rig.

If it is a hobby machine, then you will get many wonderful years out of it.

Cheers

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Capacitors (electrolytic types)

Over time, they will leak the electrolyte out and/or bulge to indicate they're going.

10. Secret Legend thread starter macrumors newbie

Meh.... I do use it mostly for hobby, but do u guys think a PC would be better for something I will use long?

11. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Longer than you'd bargained for - when the new FCS 4.0 comes out with 64-bit and true multi-core support it's going to more than double it's current performance...currently it uses about 50% at most ( in some cases a lot less!) - so something to look forward to - in September...

12. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Solid caps will last much longer.

13. Secret Legend thread starter macrumors newbie

Answer FOUND :)

Hey guys so I contacted a apple rep. and they said for what I do with it and since I will be upgrading it as time progresses, It should last me 5-7 years and most of the time more than 7 years for a mac pro (Of course with upgrading) :)

14. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I'd say that sounds about right if it's a "hobby" machine.... but what do you mean by "upgrading"?

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Definitely, but it depends on the price point, as to whether or not they're used.

But most importantly, think PSU, which can take other system components with them when they fail. :eek: :(

16. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

What's this 3-year blowup issue I've heard about the intel-based Macs? Any specific issues for models like the iMac, Mac Pro, or laptops, or just random hardware failures?

17. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

They can, but its not really that valid anymore as more and more electronics have built in protection measures against it. For example, most new graphics cards have some form of OV/OC protection. They are also much less prone to static. Even a few years ago, this was much more of an issue.

Most graphics cards and motherboards today incorporate solid caps. PSUs are slowly heading that way as well. Many of the top range PSUs on the market are using hybrid cap designs (as going the all-solid route is still out of the mainstream).

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

As far as serious damage as a result of electrolytics, I tend to focus on the PSU primarily, given the large values still used (no solid types available in larger values). The other area that I think of are the minimal budget products (not enough parts budget to allow for solids where they should be utilized if at all possible).

As per PSU's going all solid type, it's going to take time to get the large values available at pricing low enough for manufacturers to be able to fit them into the parts budgets (starting on the high end of course).

19. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

This machine will be great for years to come. Dont worry about the caps either they will be just fine.

The thing is technology changes so much in just 5 years!

Think about it in 2005 we were still using PowerMac G5's. Which actually still run just fine. :)

Maintenance wise the one thing to do is make sure your macpro is clean of dust. I have seen more than my share of mac's die from dust blocking the cooling fins or fan areas. As long as its on your desk you will be fine but if it is on the floor check it regularly.

Congrats on your purchase!