How long will it take for Apple to order a replacement logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubedweller, Sep 19, 2008.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

I sent my MBP in because it wouldn't go to sleep. Now they need to replace the logic board which is currently being ordered. Anyone have any idea how long I should expect this whole process to take?

Thanks,
    ~E

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depends; could take a week, could take 2 days. And then you have to go on queue for the repair which could take up to a week.

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

When they replaced my logic board I dropped it off at an Apple Store and picked it up 5 days later.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when they replaced the logic board on my G5 iMac, I took it in for the genius to look at, left it there, and then it was ready to be picked up 3 days later.....I'm sure it will vary location by location

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

A couple weeks ago, my MBP wouldn't boot...turns out it was a problem with one of the memory slots. So the whole board had to be replaced. I brought it in to a local Apple Store and they agreed that the board was no good. Quoted 3-5 days to replace...but there was option B. For $99, paid for Procare and had my MBP back within 3 hours. They had the board in stock, and the Procare bumped me to the top of the line.

There were lots of computers in for repair, so it was well worth the $'s in my case. Though they promised 24 hours with Procare, they had it done by the time I'd finished dinner :)

Mark

6. gorenut macrumors member

I had a problem with my MBP recently. Originally they thought it was just the logic board, but turned out they replaced my entire motherboard (thankfully I got Apple Care). It took about 4 days (including weekends) to get my laptop back.

7. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. The online tool still reports, "On hold - Part on order (18-Sep-2008)" for the logic board. Is the logic board the whole mother board? Does that mean I get a new GPU as well? Or do they solder the old one onto the new logic board? How does this work? Can someone explain what exactly will change?

Thanks,
    ~E

8. kevlar51 macrumors newbie

I dropped my mbp off on the 22nd for sleep/clamshell issues. The reed switch has already been replaced twice for the same issue, which fixes it but it inevitably breaks again. The genius told me that since it's a repeat repair I'll be bumped to the front of the queue.

I called on the 24th to ask about it and they said that the parts had arrived and it was in line to be fixed; he told me it should be a few days. I told him about what the genius said and he indicated I had been bumped to the front of the queue, but there are Pro Care members ahead of me. ARRRRGHGHHGHGHH!!!!!!! What a ***** joke. Then he has the balls to tell me that "it's a quick fix, once we get to it it won't take long." THEN FIX IT JERKFACE! It's now the 27th and I haven't heard back from them.

In short, I'm pissed that Apple Pro Care exists. Apple collects $99 per year from customers and provides no additional service from their end.