How long will it take for iPhone 4 apps to flood the market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHero, Jun 19, 2010.

1. iHero macrumors member

Hi all,

I've got a bunch of credit on my iTunes account and was going to buy a selection of apps ready for Thursday (I've never had an iPhone so don't have any previous apps) but then I realised there is most likely going to be a wave of apps optimised for the iPhone 4.

So my question is how long will it take before they all start appearing? How long did it take for 3GS?

I'm hoping developers have lots ready for release day?

2. TLewis macrumors 65816

Huh? They're already appearing, and have been for a few days.

3. iHero thread starter macrumors member

Ah that's cool then. Like I said I have never had an iPhone before (moving over from Android)

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I think the OP meant apps specifically for iPhone 4, that take advantage of the new features. Not iOS4 apps.

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I don't think there will be many really, not a flood anyway.

I can only think that there might be apps to include use of the front facing camera. The rest of the handset/os is pretty much the same as previous iterrations (in terms of basic fucntionality) so I'd assume that apps will merely be optimised to look up to scratch on the new screen.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

The only change would be the api for multitasking.

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

Well, there's also the "multitasking" aspect -- lots of people are waiting for "multitasking-aware" versions of pandora and skype.

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Fair point, but that's basically what I was getting at - updates to existing apps rather than a flood of new ones..

9. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

with double the RAM and a gyroscope there are bound to be some iOS4 exclusives. iMovie for iPhone is looking pretty cool to me, I'm sure there will be more to come along the way soon.

But if you have some credit then just buy the ones you like- a lot of the apps have been/will be updated for iOS4 and there are some gems out there that you should get regardless of which iPhone you have.