How long will it take the new TM to restore?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RealSkyDiver, Aug 18, 2011.

1. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

Let's say for example I would backup before a crucial update and after it the computer wouldn't work right (happened to me just yesterday with the new Lion update -.-) how long would it take to restore? Will it always copy over the full backup or only the things that changed in the meantime, which in this case wouldn't be much?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

That's a very hard question to answer. It really all depends on how much data needs replacing and how it's connecting (wireless, ethernet). I'm presuming you're referring to the Time Capsule. If you're talking about a FireWire 800 3.5" hard drive, then it'll be MUCH faster (i.e., only a few hours for 60GB).

For example, if you need to wipe your entire HD and replace all, say, 60GB of data then it'll take quite a while - and even longer over wifi. If you're replacing only a gig or two, it should be reasonably quick.

For me, if I need to restore my 1.3TB of data, even via FireWire 800, I'm in for the better part of a weekend.

3. RealSkyDiver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks but I mean but if you only need to restore the way it was before the update shouldn't it be pretty quick? I'm just asking since this time I'm gonna backup via TC before doing the lates Lion update again so I can restore it in case something doesn't go right afterwards like encountering a kernel panic.