How long will my Macbook last?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Astroblu, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Astroblu macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook I purchased in late 2008, it's the aluminium model. I'm just getting curious about how long it will last for? It's almost 5 years old which seems very old for a laptop. However it runs just like new, despite that I use for over 4 hours a day almost every day since I have owned it. I've never had to replace any parts, even the battery is still going well. I have had to replace the charger several times though. I take extremely good care of it but I'd just like to know how much longer it should keep going for? What is the average lifetime of one of these MacBooks?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It completely depends on how well you take care of it. Many have much older Macs still running fine, while others destroy theirs in a year or two.

3. soapsudz, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

soapsudz macrumors member

Forever, I guess? :)

I have a 2006 model, the first run Core Duo, and it's been running fine until now. For an 8 year old computer that's spent most of its life bouncing around in a backpack, it's amazing.

Issues:
    * logic board failed a few months after purchase, replaced under warranty
    * the keyboard/touchpad cable was getting flaky, a piece of paper under the trackpad put enough pressure to fix it
    * terrible battery life after a few years, so I got a new battery
    * failed optical drive, removed it to save weight :)
    * power adapter frayed and shorted out, got a free replacement under Applecare

Upgrades:
    * new hard drive for more capacity
    * more RAM

4. StUPoT macrumors member

All of my macs have lasted for years!
    My gf has a core duo macbook which is still going strong.
    Before my MBP i had a black macbook 2007 which was as good as new inside and out.
    My cous has the same black macbook thats still working eventhough his is in a real state ie. dirt behind the LCD etc etc.
    Macbooks are pretty hard to kill really unless water is involved.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

My 2003 running panther is still used every day by the friend I gave it to, and for the 5 years I used it, it worked very hard. It got a new battery free from Apple after a laptop in this manufacturing batch exploded somewhere. Apart from that it has never been repaired and everything still works.

But, this helps with longevity: it has never been dropped, and at home my computers are always plugged into surge protectors, and I would completely discharge the battery a couple of times a month.

6. Astroblu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, I've kept it in very good condition so hopefully it will keep going for a few more years. I haven't had to replace any parts at all, nothing has gone wrong with it. Does this mean I could expect something such as the battery to stop working and need a replacement?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are consumable items, so yes, they will deplete over time and need to be replaced.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The battery will probably need replacing eventually - However MacBook batteries are pretty cheap, costing under $100 US :)