How long will printer ink last for?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gwelmarten, May 13, 2013.

1. gwelmarten macrumors 6502

Hi
    I've got a good offer on some printer ink at the moment, and I am thinking about buying some for use in the next 12-14 months. I've read that toner can be stored indefinitely, but I can't find a decisive answer about ink tanks. Specifically, I am looking at the PGI-525PGBK tank and the different colour variations of the CLI-526C ink tank.
    Does anybody know anything about the shelf lives of these? Both are genuine Canon inks that will be used in a Canon printer.
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1-2 years depending on catridge if its in the printer you need to print atleast once a week to keep them fresh so to speak but won't last that long. Some carriages have chips with the exp date coded and will throw an error message up on installation.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You can use them well past there expiry date. Just shake them first. We often use Epson ink cartridges from 2010 at work with no issues in our 4880. We also have Noritsu dry labs and we were told by Noritsu to ignore the expiry date and use it for a year past that date and still be in warranty.

4. gwelmarten thread starter macrumors 6502

5. jamesollor, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

jamesollor macrumors newbie

Actually, it can stay for long can last for months or days. It all depends on the printer and how much you use it really. if you use it constantly it will last for maybe a week, but if not maybe a month.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The biggest issue is that the ink can harden especially if the cartridge has begun usage. That being said, give it a good shake if unopened and it should work fine. Like it was mentioned before, some of the newer inkjets use chips in the cartridges to not work if past expiration. They do this so that you don't clog the print heads up.

7. jamesollor macrumors newbie

I have recently use printer in couple of month my printer cartridges are a lots of pages to print my printer cartridges work approximately 9 to 11 month but unfortunately that working.

8. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Its not uncommon for me to pitch unused, sealed in packaging cartridges. I get less than a year and my Canon's won't come back no matter what I do to them.

Perhaps my home is warmer than most as we keep it at about 75 in South Florida. Plus the room its in is warmer if I'm running long video renders. But my experience suggests not buying cartridges until you need them.