How Long Will Series 1 be Supported?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by D-Man18360, May 28, 2018.

1. D-Man18360 macrumors member

I’m looking to make a jump into the Apple Watch world and the Series 1 models look like a great entry point.

What’s the general consensus as to how long this model will be supported with the latest Watch OS updates?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Obviously there is no definitive answer, but being the Series 1 and Series 2 share the same processor, I would say it’s safe to say at least through watchOS 5 it will be supported. Anything after that, it really is unpredictable with any changes to the OS that could alter its lifespan.

3. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

With S3, Apple claimed some 70% speed increase over S2. If they manage to keep up that pace (or even improve it), S4 could be nearly 3 times as fast as S1/S2.

However, if S0 is any indication, I would also expect iOS6 to still run on S1/S2 (albeit a bit on the slow side).

On the other hand, S1 still lacks things like the significantly brighter screen (and ceramic back) of later models, so while it may look like a good entry point due to its price, it may be worth it to spend a bit more for a later model, in order to avoid getting a slightly underwhelming experience.

Perhaps a refurb S2 may be an alternative for a similar price as a new S1?!

4. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I have a Series 1. It performs OK if you just want to use it as a watch, health tracker and notification centre.

I suspect that it's going to be fine for doing the above for a few years to come with significant new features being hardware dependent (i.e. you'll need a new model).

I don't think of it as an app platform as I just don't use 3rd party apps. I could see this might be a place where support fades out pretty fast.

BTW, I think that Series 1 and 2 shared the same processor (series 2 was waterproofed, had GPS and a better screen brightness).

If you want to dip your toe into the world of Apple Watch just to see if you like it, series 1 is a good place to start - maybe even get a second hand one.

I suspect that you will like it, so you can get one at a super low price point and save your money, as of course, they'll be a new one out in September...

5. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Good question! That's ones of the reasons I traded my awesome SS S0 for an S3 LTE. Hopefully, it should last me a few years now! (the S0 lastest 3 years and still worked great).

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Even if Apple doesn't support the watch past WatchOS5, it's not like the watch will stop functioning. The watch will work for as long as its battery does, assuming you don't bust it somewhere along the way.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Suspect Series 3 should at least see support for a minimum of three years, given that the faster dual core processor is incredibly more powerful even over the Series 2 Apple Watch. It just handles tasks, applications and updates at a much smoother rate without much hesitation.