How long will the 2013 Mac Pro get software updates?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cinnabun814, Jun 7, 2019.

1. cinnabun814 macrumors member

cinnabun814

I found a completely spec'd out Mac Pro 12 Core / 64GB Ram / 1TB SSD / 2x D700 or whatever graphics cards for $2,200. It seems like a steal unless there's something i'm missing. Will this machine still get software updates for a couple years?

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

2023 ish? Apple knows. It might be when there’s something in the Os which requires something, like the T2 chip or something.

3. tpivette89 macrumors 6502

tpivette89

Apple doesn't usually support something that is over 7 years old. The 2013 Mac Pro is a special case because it was sold in it's original config for 6 years prior to being replaced. Because of this (and the fact that consumers could purchase this "new" up until recently), I have a hypothesis that OS support will disappear after 10.16. It will get one more OS after Catalina, but then no more, just due to the fact that you could buy it new until June 2019.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think the 6,1 is the G5 Powermac of this generation (meaning if you bought new in 2019, in 4 years it will be no longer supported with security updates).

4. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Agree with above - you'll probably get full software updates (i.e. able to update to the latest version of MacOS) through fall 2021, followed by the typical 2 years of security updates on MacOS 10.16 with no further updates after fall 2023.

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Catalina supports all 7 year old Macs except for the cMP. Note the 7 years is from last mainstream sale, not introduction date. With that expect the nMP to have software support through 2026.

6. startergo macrumors 6502a

startergo

Sidecar does not work "natively" which is a bad sign already, but:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display AllowAllDevices -bool true; 
    defaults write com.apple.sidecar.display hasShownPref -bool true;
     open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Sidecar.prefPane
    should enable it

7. th0masp macrumors 6502

As far as I understand they dropped older machines from OS support because of Metal requirements. So short of some other hardware requirement that the trashcan won't be able to match I don't see a reason for support to get dropped early.
    They are still selling these machines and the professional markets they are aimed at keep their gear running for a good long while. These don't just get turned into doorstops overnight just because a new model is out.

8. smbu2000 macrumors regular

Apple may have taken the 2013 nMP off of the US site, but it is still for sale on Apple sites in other countries. Checking my local one (Apple Japan) you can purchase a new nMP with a 6 core or 8 core config. for delivery or pickup in 2 days or a custom one extending that out to two weeks.
    Just checked out the UK site, Canada site and the Germany site and it is pretty much the same. Although shipping times are much shorter in Canada for customized options.

The 2013 nMP should be supported for a long while.

9. saulinpa, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019

saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Apple still has the 2013 nMP on their US site but it is hard to find. Need to go through the store area and drill down there - https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    Not completely as Mojave also required Metal but still supported the 2010/2012 cMP. Needed a new graphics card. So Catalina dropped the cMP for other reasons.

10. goMac macrumors 604

They sold them until Monday. I’d guess three more years of software updates.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2019 ---
    It’s the only Mac left that didn’t support AVX CPU instructions.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They still sell them

12. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Apple released its last PowerPC Mac up to summer 2006, yet the last OS X release for PowerPC Mac was 2007’s Leopard. So, if you bought a PowerMac G5 in June 2006 and it came with Tiger, you only got one OS X upgrade and that was it. So, I see a similar scenario happening with the 2013 Mac Pro, but under this circumstance, its been the same machine for the last 6 years.

Apple pretty much told folks 2 years ago they were working on a new design. So, if you bought one two years ago or just this week, you kinda went into this with eyes wide open knowing there would be a replacement.

I suspect Apple wants to put the 2013 behind it as fast as it can, which brings me to the conclusion, at a minimum there could only be one or two macOS upgrades remaining. That said, even if 10.17 or 10.16 is the last, Apple remains generous with security updates. So, you very well run it for another 2 years. By then, it will be over 10 years, you probably should have gotten a good return on investment, to at least buy a refurb 2019 or 2020 Mac Pro that could very well carry you through for the next 8 to 10 years.

Also, I am sure Apple will likely use it as an incentive to push upgrades to the new model. So far, though, technical requirements have been meaningful. One exception is Apple Watch support for unlocking your Mac. You need to be on High Sierra or later for that.