How long will the 2015 MBP 13" most likely be available for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MostRecents, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MostRecents macrumors newbie

Not trying to start a debate, but I simply cannot understand the decisions Apple are making. They do not appeal to me, nor help me, in any way, so I'm not paying for them.

I just upgraded from a 6 to a 6S (I do not like the 7), and now I've decided that I am going to upgrade my 3-and-a-bit-year MBP to a '15 model (and not the new '16s).

My question is this: does anyone have any idea how long the '15s will be available to order online? I.e., does anyone have any previous experience with this? I'd like to put off buying one for as long as possible, but I do want to buy one from the online Apple Store.

Also, I can't see whether it would come with El Capitan or Sierra, but unfortunately I presume it's the latter... if I'm wrong lmk.

Thanks!

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

3. MostRecents thread starter macrumors newbie

I had that inkling too... I wonder if anyone has any idea what kind of timeframe I'm looking at.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It'll stick around until they can offer the new touchbar equipped models at lower price points.

I'm guessing that'll be in 1-2 years.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That isn't consistent with past behavior. They kept the 13" cmbp around for at least 2 cycles after introducing the retina model. Until they have a replacement around the $2k mark, it'll be there.

6. MostRecents thread starter macrumors newbie

Stock won't be an issue? As in, they'll continue to manufacture the '15s? Is there any precedent for this? Thanks

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The outgoing 13" MacBook Pro was the same model that they introduced in 2012.

8. Capt T macrumors 6502a

They already have the replacement. It is the 13" non touchbar starting at $1500 usd

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

As I mentioned the 13" cmbp was sold from June 2012 to October 2016. <-- I was thinking of the 15" in spite of writing that.

Oh blah I'm an idiot. I read 2015 as 15". Let me revise this. Well first off they'll probably shake up their lineup somewhat due to $1500 being quite high. Apart from that, if they run out, check Best Buy (preferably with open box + mover's coupon, refurbished online, adorama and B+H for closeouts. Sometimes you can snag an excellent deal. I don't think you will have a hard time with this. These things usually get cheap right after discontinuation. Sometimes you'll have a spike if supplies run out and demand is still there, but it's unlikely. These haven't changed much in some time, so most people that wanted one already bought it.

10. MostRecents, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

MostRecents thread starter macrumors newbie

You posted seconds before I did... but thanks, very helpful.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    This is where my inkling came from.

The issue is that I want one with a non-US keyboard... so buying from a third-party won't be possible.

I guess I might as well get one as soon as I'm able to. I can't see them building more.