Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclover564

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I just got a new MacBook. I'm a little paranoid, since my old Windows laptop lasted for only about a year (it was cheap, and I had it for a total of a little over 2). I am curious to know how long the newest MacBook will last, because if it fails, a new one isn't even questionable. Like for college, even though I still have this year and 3 more years in High School. Help?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I just got a new MacBook. I'm a little paranoid, since my old Windows laptop lasted for only about a year (it was cheap, and I had it for a total of a little over 2). I am curious to know how long the newest MacBook will last, because if it fails, a new one isn't even questionable. Like for college, even though I still have this year and 3 more years in High School. Help?

Years. It should certainly last through high school.

Although by the time you go to college, you may want to look for a new one.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Many still use their 2006 MacBooks here or even their iBooks made before 2006.
The new construction (Unibody) promises more structural strength than the last generation of MacBooks (plastic edition), but components can also fail.
You have a one year warranty one your MB which will cover all manufacturing defects and you can extend your warranty by another two years within the first year of purchase, which makes it a total of three years of warranty.

For further reading on Apple's AppleCare: http://www.apple.com/support/products/

itsbrad

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
I'm still using my Powerbook G4 Ti(I can't afford a new one quite yet.) and other than I need to get a new battery this thing is a workhorse. I can run Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and pretty much any other software with no issues that I am aware of.

Dan73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
If you take care of it, it certainly will have a better chance of lasting longer ;)

Otherwise just like all computers, and just about everything in life... expect unexpected failures. **** happens. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.