How long will the MacBook last?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Maclover564, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Maclover564 macrumors newbie

I just got a new MacBook. I'm a little paranoid, since my old Windows laptop lasted for only about a year (it was cheap, and I had it for a total of a little over 2). I am curious to know how long the newest MacBook will last, because if it fails, a new one isn't even questionable. Like for college, even though I still have this year and 3 more years in High School. Help?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Years. It should certainly last through high school.

Although by the time you go to college, you may want to look for a new one.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Many still use their 2006 MacBooks here or even their iBooks made before 2006.
    The new construction (Unibody) promises more structural strength than the last generation of MacBooks (plastic edition), but components can also fail.
    You have a one year warranty one your MB which will cover all manufacturing defects and you can extend your warranty by another two years within the first year of purchase, which makes it a total of three years of warranty.

For further reading on Apple's AppleCare: http://www.apple.com/support/products/

4. Maclover564 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you extend it even further? Or can it only go up to three years total?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Three years from initial date of purchase is the limit.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It can last as long as you want it to in most cases. Especially for common stuff like e-mail and internet.

7. itsbrad macrumors newbie

I'm still using my Powerbook G4 Ti(I can't afford a new one quite yet.) and other than I need to get a new battery this thing is a workhorse. I can run Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and pretty much any other software with no issues that I am aware of.

8. chill. macrumors 6502

what does this mean?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

10. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

If you take care of it, it certainly will have a better chance of lasting longer ;)

Otherwise just like all computers, and just about everything in life... expect unexpected failures. **** happens. :p