How long will the phone last when Low Battery Mode is enabled the whole time?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by venividivigor, Jun 29, 2015.

1. venividivigor macrumors 6502

I'm going to a music festival somewhere far away, and we're camping there for 4 days, I wanna know how long my iPhone 6 would last if I set it to Low Battery Mode the whole time?

Also what about the Apple Watch if its on Power Reserve mode?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Apple says about 3 hours more, whatever that means. If the optimisations to iOS 9 hold up, in total 4 hours more. However, we haven't seen anything more specific yet and I'm not sure whether Apple has disclosed in detail under which circumstances this was tested. If you're aiming for longevity, it's best to turn off all features that you won't be needing and keep the active usage (i.e. with screen on) to a minimum. You can get really good standby times like that.

In addition to LPM, based on its current state, consider turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, potentially also LTE or 3G if you can. Turn off push notifications that you don't need, turn off (some) location services, reduce the brightness as far as you can. This should make sure that many background processes are not draining your battery even in standby and reduces the energy consumption while in active use. LPM is only a starting point, but it does offer things that can't be done elsewhere, like throttling the processor and networking.

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Buy a small portable ~2600mah battery which will give you one additional charge (roughly). You can pick them up in the UK for as little as £5. It won't be anything stellar but for a 4 day event, use once then (probably) throw away it's not bad & easy.

Your Watch has no chance of lasting four days.

4. zeezey macrumors member

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

thats awful.. its a 6+, low power mode for the whole charge, less than 8 hrs of usage + airplane mode, thats a disaster..

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I agree. I get about that usage on a REGULAR 6 on Verizon (which apparently is less efficient with power than other carriers I hear? T-Mobile is apparently the best) and I have -118 dbm for LTE while connected to wifi.

Definitely shows that iOS 9 has a lot of progress to be made. Was that on beta 1 or beta 2?

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

This is strange. I actively use my iPhone 6 plus, and I can still get 7 hours usage. With low power mode, you can only get 7 hours usage? That does mean LPM is still an empty vast with nothing inside. Disappointing, if it is the truth.

8. zeezey macrumors member

This is with beta 2. Although I have noticed people get longer usage times than me since I first got the 6 plus. Not sure what is up with it.

9. krabbenharry macrumors member

krabbenharry

Here is a Screenshot of mine, iPhone 5S
    Powermode was the whole Time enabled, iam pretty thrilled with the Battery Life so far :)
    I use it frequently, Music mostly, some surfing and Alien Blue ( reddit ) ofc.

[​IMG]

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Don't know about the iPhone, but :apple:Watch Power Reserve is said to last you 4 times as long as normal. If you can get through a day on your watch, it should be able to last you through the festival.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Depending on how you are using the phone, a low power mode could potentially have the effect of not improving your battery life, or even making it worse during some activities if the processor has been throttled, forcing it to work at its maximum speed for a longer period of time to perform the same calculations that could be done in a shorter period of time with the full burst speed enabled.

I agree you should just buy a small battery pack if it's so important to you.

12. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Most festivals theses days have charging points dotted about. And like others here have suggested buy yourself a portable charger, just got a free Power Bar myself which EE (a uk Network) are giving away.

13. EthanLMT macrumors regular

EthanLMT

It says it has been plugged in since last full charge...

14. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It shows it's charging, so it's possible it was just plugged in before he decided to screenshot the usage. Unfortunate though!

15. david91 macrumors regular

on battery mode, it should last for approximately 8 hours.