How long will the SE be good for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

I know some are still rocking 4S's from 2011 but many have problems. The iPhone 5 from 2012 seems to have held up pretty well.

Could I reasonably expect 3 years out of my SE before it starts to get glitchy - I really like the form factor and the fact that it is so small.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Easily. It really is a powerhouse little iPhone. With the A9 Processor coupled with the battery life, this Phone will last a minimum of three years in my opinion.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The iPhone SE is just as powerful as the 6S but in a 4" form factor. Easy 4-5 years. I have friends who still have and use the 4

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The iPhone 5s still runs great and that came out almost three years ago. With the extra GB of RAM in the iPhone SE and the relatively low resolution display, you can definitely expect at LEAST three years out of it.

5. Jsameds Suspended

5 years. It's an incredibly powerful processor pushing a fairly (in comparison to other phone displays) low resolution screen, so it'll run like butter for a good while yet, and will lose iOS support at the same time as the 6S which will be 2020.

It really is a cracking little phone.

6. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

We'll have flying cars by then and uber will run all driverless cars.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup. I'd wager at least 3 if not 4-5 years.

8. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies - I'm loving mine in every way except battery life; it's not bad but not as good as androids I've owned.

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I've never had an Android phone with better battery life than an iPhone. My Galaxy S7 Edge is the first Android phone I've owned with really good battery life, and even then my iPhone SE still lasts longer.

10. itsray macrumors 6502

11. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

The battery might be the only thing that won't last as long as the phone. The phone will still be fast, but you might have to change the battery at some point.

12. jetlagged macrumors 6502

My iPhone 5 held up 4 years better it went kapoot, I could have pushed it 5 years.

So I bought an SE. Plan to hold on to it for 2 years. But really this phone can last 4-5 years before the camera quality becomes outdated. I notice my iPhone 5 camera became outdated 2 years ago. I'm definitely going to maintain my phone, clean it from dusts and stuff. I never cleaned up iPhone 5, and dusts and gunk got caked into the speaker holes and charger hole

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

You will easily get 2-4 years from it, like other have said its the same ish specs as the current flagship. As long as the small screen doesn't bother you.

14. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Wrong thread, my bad.

As far as the SE, I just bought one and am expecting it in today. Pretty excited for it. I'd go with the 3-4 years mainstream use and 5 if you push it like the 4S has done.

Luckily the battery in the 5/5c/5s and I'd assume SE is not too difficult to replace. I just replaced one in an original preorder iPhone 5 earlier this week and it's just as good as new! It's also still rocking iOS 7.1.2.

15. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I briefly had an Ulefone Power which had a 6050 mAh battery, and an Xperia Z3 Compact which would last a long time.

But with the SE I'm leaving location, mobile data, background refresh, bluetooth, wi fi, notifications on all the time. I don't see the point of not doing so even if battery suffers. Everything else I love about the phone.

Looking forward to keeping a phone longer than 6 months, though, as I said, I'll always have an android of some description.

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I leave all that stuff on all the time as well and mostly use LTE and still get over 6 hours screen on time.

17. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

So do I but I don't consider that anything more than just OK compared with other devices I've had. The battery may be good for an iPhone but is still only mediocre.

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

6+ hours SOT is a lot better than just "OK". Just because you've had phones with tablet-sized batteries doesn't mean everything less is bad or even just okay.

6+ hours SOT is very good for a phone.

19. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

My Xperia Z3 Compact didn't have a tablet-sized battery (it was 2600mAh). Like I said, I love everything about the iPhone SE except its battery life.