How long will this "Next Generation last"

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ert3, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Other than the fact that some how the next generation of consoles has been released and in play for some time, some of these consoles are supposed to have exteneded shelf lifes. See the PS3's 10 year plan.

The real question I pose is how long until the "Next Generation" is the "Current Generation"

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good question and i have no idea. i think the pace is slowing down quite a bit though in terms of new releases which is good in my opinion as i dont have to continually build up a library

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Sony might support the PS3 for 10 years, but make no mistake,PS4 will be out before then. Just like the PS2, the PS3 was out 6 years later.

I'd say around that long, not the 4 years of the Xbox....MS will have not a reason to start early, because they won't be behind Sony by so much. Nintendo will like where they are, and Sony will have a good base with PS3 as well.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

When Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo say this product is going to have a life of 10 years. They do not necessarily mean that it will be their only product available. Much like how the PS2 is still available to buy alongside the PS3.

So even though Sony have said the PS3 will last 10 years, I would easily gamble that we will see the PS4 around 6 years into the PS3's lifespan.

I would expect that later part of 2010 will see the successor to the 360 also, and probably around that time 2010/11 the Wii's successor will also emerge from the wilderness.

The Wii of all of the consoles is the one that is going to look most dated in a few years time, as it mostly already does bar a few shining games.

2011/2012 PS4

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Until MS gets edgy that PS3 has overtaken them with world wide sales and forces out another console not quite ready thus forcing Sorny to follow suit while Nintendo laughs and makes more money.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's hard to say who'll jump first. MS was the first current gen system out and got a lot of bad press over the RRoD epidemic, the Wii could do with extra power, the PS3 is struggling to keep up with some ported titles and ballsed up the first year. They've all got reasons to go first. As for "10 years", I doubt it. As others have said they'll likely still sell the system but games will be made by smaller studios who haven't jumped to next gen.

Wild guessing in tow I say the 360 2 will be out in 2010. Wii 2 and PS4; 2011.

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

You Should ask this lady. She's all seeing and knows the future. She also works for UbiSoft:
    [​IMG]

2012 is when I'm expecting a new Wii and Playstation.

Here's a pic of the new ZuneBox360 coming next year.

<]=)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

She reminds me of Jo from The Apprentice.
    I am hoping for 100% b/c from all systems. It seems like they're all settled in now with their respective architecture. Plus the ability to transfer Xbox Live accounts, Mii's etc over to the next system. I never liked how in the past a new console meant everything else before was cut loose, especially considering the first year or so of a new system is usually starved of good games.

9. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

I think (maybe wrong, shouldn't do that after a weekend of partying) that he was asking more when will they quite referring to this as next gen gaming as it's been around for a couple years now. When will it just become gaming again? :D

Paul

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Havn't you learned anything about this forum, that most of us don't read. :eek:

In that case, it was about 3 years in when developers settled on the PS2. I recall how all PS2 games looked like vomit until that period.

I asked the UbiSoft lady and she told me with HER EYES!!! I have the urge to startz addingz zzz tooz allz ofz myz textz... ZznNNoOoozzzzzz! :eek:

<]=)

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I wonder though how much longer it will go on. What if that rumor that the next xbox won't even have an optical media is true? How will the old games work? I doubt the companies like BC, and they have probably learned from Nintendo just how much $$$ older games like VC can make them since many people will pay for them again even if they already have them for the original system. Maybe everything goes onto XBL/PSN for a nice profit?

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

As long as that "next generation" doesn't have a console with the EA logo on it then I'm open for anything.

I don't think we'll see the "new Gen" until 2010.....I know MS will try to be the 1st one out of the gate...I hope they take this time to do a little QA before letting loose.

Bless

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I borrowed your sentance;
    As long as that "next generation" doesn't have a console with the Microsoft logo on it then I'm open for anything.

:)

EA had some good games in the eighties and early ninties. Come to think of it, that's when MS also did lots of good things. :eek:

<]=)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Microsoft need to cut their (financial) losses and just make their own brand of PC that's also tailored to playing games. As I've said before - the Vista Box. DirectX10 graphics card, soldered components, upgradeable HDD, Ram, with Vista Game Edition (Oh I don't know) and with full mouse compatibility. I'd like that more than what the current 2 HD systems are trying to do.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I had just assumed that the 360 would be their own PC and that Office would be available for it by now, but noooooooooo. MS must have heard me and decided not to do so.

<]=)

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

but Jimmi, haven't you heard? PC gaming is dead, teh internet said so!