How long will we wait for the next MacPro ?

MrTed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
Hi Guys,

I really need power for my Home Studio computer. I want to buy a Macpro but not the first generation, do you know when the next macpro will be released ?

thx

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'd expect a bump in January in CPU speed, but nothing really else. You should really buy the computer now and get what you need out of it. There's probably not going to be anything major when the next update is released.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
MrTed said:
Hi Guys,

I really need power for my Home Studio computer. I want to buy a Macpro but not the first generation, do you know when the next macpro will be released ?

thx
Just buy it, Ted. You are not in the WinDell world with Apple. I have had the first generations for the past 3 major realeases and have not experienced a single issue and use all three concurrently. There is no reason not to buy, other than personal preference, or finances. The technology is solid.

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
From what i hear, apple will come out with them as soon as they are commercially avail.

ie November.

it's my hope, but also from a friend at apple.

Apple wants to sell the latest cpu tech. only reason why they were slow with core 2 duo is that they are using them in iMac's. which is a huge seller. so they didnt have enough of them to supply the laptops also.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
My guess is Feb - March time. Apple have proven that they will still take their time with the C2D for the MBP, and 7-8 months is a typical cycle for the professional Mac.

Personally, I think that an eight core MP is unlikely, and speed upgrades are not particularly forthcoming with the dual core intel chips. So, I wouldn't wait, but that might be me rationalising buying one this month...

David

minnesotamacman

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
MrTed said:
Hi Guys,

thx

Why not the first generation. I have had mine for a month now and not one problem at all. I think Apple went to the mat to make sure this would not be a screw up with all sorts of problems. I love this machine. Best I have ever had. I added an optical drive, and 3 hard drives in six minutes. Never seen another machine to that yet.

My impression, go with a Mac Pro now and enjoy.

MrTed

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
November ? March ? Apple changed technology in their computer but their marketing strategy is still the same: nobody knows ...

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
mdntcallr said:
From what i hear, apple will come out with them as soon as they are commercially avail.

ie November.

it's my hope, but also from a friend at apple.

Apple wants to sell the latest cpu tech. only reason why they were slow with core 2 duo is that they are using them in iMac's. which is a huge seller. so they didnt have enough of them to supply the laptops also.
Sorry, but your friend at Apple probably has no more idea what Apple's plans are than anyone else does. I mean, unless he's Steve himself. ;)

Two, that's the silliest reason re: core2duo MPB's I've ever heard. If Apple wanted to update their lines, they would - they could order more stock of the core2 processors easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.