How Long Will You Wait To Buy Then?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cwazytech, Jan 10, 2009.

  1. cwazytech macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado
    #1
    By now I realize that there are many of you who have been putting off buying a new iMac until the next update. Everyone seems split on when to buy. So my question is how long will you wait until you upgrade? I'm looking for timelines here. Not, "I'll wait until they're updated." I'd like to know you breaking point for purchasing.
     
  2. Patillac macrumors member

    Patillac

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    Golden State
    #2
    I was ready beginning of December, got a $200 gift card from the GF for Christmas ;), waited till MWSF:mad:

    Really thinking I'm just gonna get the 24" refurb NOW!! I'm sick n tired of waiting but I'm also in no REAL need to get it "now"

    Latest I see myself waiting is end of January, but I will probably pull the trigger sometime in the next couple days :D
     
  3. Kashchei macrumors 65816

    Kashchei

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2002
    Location:
    Meat Space
    #3
    My current mini does everything I want it to, although the graphics are a bit underwhelming. I could conceivably wait until June when Snow Leopard comes out. At that point, if a new mini hasn't been introduced, I'll really be stuck as to what to do (already own an ACD, don't need the power of a PowerMac).
     
  4. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

    Ambrose Chapel

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #4
    I'm at least waiting for Snow Leopard. I'd like to hold out until Nehalem/Clarksfield, but maybe not if that means 2010. :(
     
  5. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
  6. rust.puppet macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Ashtabula, OH
    #6
    right now im praying its before february but once i get the money in my hand i cant promise i wont go out that day and buy it. so... second week of february is my breaking point but it will most likely be sooner since i dont have a current mac to hold me over.
     
  7. Yamcha macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    #7
    I hate waiting, but I think now I might just get a refurbished one, because of the 24" screen for cheap..
     
  8. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    Snow Leopard doesn't have any big changes, so I'm not waiting for it.

    Everything depends on your needs. If you are happy with current hardware and software go for it, don't wait. If you want newest and coolest or you are waiting for something in new one, then wait.

    Current machines are very good ones, there is nothing stupid to buy one now.
     
  9. Theophany macrumors 6502

    Theophany

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    NW London.
    #9
    The longer I wait, the longer I'm prepared to wait. There is no definite timeframe for me, but the way I look at it is like this: I've been waiting since early December to buy a Mac, it's now mid-January. Having waited this long, it seems daft to buy an iMac now because I've gotten so much closer to the rumoured launch of the new iMac.

    However, I realise I'm not in desperate need of an update. As much as I don't like using my Macbook as my desktop computer, I can easily manage until March (by which time it's highly likely that the iMacs will have had a speedbump of some kind).

    Plus, the longer I wait, the more my money grows, so I can afford better specs. By my workings-out, if the new iMac isn't released by the end of April, I'll have enough cabbage set aside to buy a low-mid range Mac Pro. Every cloud and whatnot.
     
  10. Twitcho macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #10
    I have been waiting for quite a while now, six months to be exact. And finally I have decided to get one, it will be on order by the weekend most likely. I'm just having a hard time choosing between the 20" and 24" models...:confused:
     
  11. krimz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #11
    Until hell freezes over. (Or until I cave and buy a core i7 Dell.)
     
  12. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

    Old Muley

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Titletown USA
    #12
    I got the "green light" to buy an new Mac last fall, and like so many others decided to wait to see what MWSF would bring. Having waited this long, I'll probably continue to wait until a major processor upgrade is announced in either the iMac or the Mac Pro.
     
  13. relativist macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #13
    Well, I want to wait for snow leopard also. But I already have a 2.4 G White Macbook. I going to upgrade to a new Macbook because they are aluminum and sturdy, which I need because I use my Macbook every day. I was thinking about the 17" but I need something more portable and have a computer at home I use for gaming(windows) and computational intensive work(ubuntu). So I'm debating getting either the upgraded MB or the MBA. So for now I can wait because I already have a Mac I can use. IF I didn't I would get a Macbook now, or by March.
     
  14. Patillac macrumors member

    Patillac

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    Golden State
    #14
    :D Cabbage:D...LOL!!!!! :D

    If money isn't an issue, I'd DEFINITELY go for the 24"... I think you'll LOVE the extra real estate. I had the same choice, and two friends of mine have each (20" & 24") and honestly after spending ample time on each, there really is no comparison, the bigger screen is WELL worth the extra couple hundred, IMO of course!!
     
  15. Theophany macrumors 6502

    Theophany

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    NW London.
    #15
    I've been watching too much Rescue Me lately :p
     
  16. 3lutz3toe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #16
    I’m due for a new computer. But I will wait until Snow Leopard comes out. Don't wanna pay for it again.
    I’ll wait until June or next Fall if I had to.
     
  17. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

    Mac OS X Ocelot

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2005
    #17
    I bought a refurb iMac on Friday (although I'm still waiting for it to arrive -- estimated to be this Friday). Was tired of waiting and my old iMac G4 monitor failed. After Macworld, I contemplated how long would be worth waiting for the refresh. I decided I'd snatch up a mighty fine refurb while it was still up there. Right now I really don't care if they update tomorrow. I'd still be plenty pleased with my purchase.
     
  18. bigbird macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #18
    I'm typing this on an old PowerMac G4 733 D/A that I want to replace with a new, updated Mini. I'll be buying the Mini the moment it's updated. I don't care about Snow Leopard as I need to buy it anyway for my 2008 Mac Pro.
     
  19. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location:
    graphite clamshell
    #19
    I started saving for a new system a year ago. So far I have >$3,200 burning a hole in my account for an iMac + time capsule + printer. I'm pretty patient.

    I know to buy when the 24" iMac has an LED-backlit screen.
     
  20. Yamcha macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    #20
    I was just about to buy a 24" iMac refurbished it was for $1354!!! Mid 2007 Aluminum, but it's no longer in stock today! right now im just waiting on the new iMacs to come or a good deal on Apple Refurbished to arrive.
     
  21. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2007
    Location:
    Iowa
    #21
    I want a new Mac Mini... actually 2 or 3 of them. And I will wait until Mid March. If nothing new by then. I will give in and buy whatever I can get on Ebay.
     
  22. rayward macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #22
    The 24" is amazing. When you first crane it out of the box, you'll think it's huge. Within hours, you'll wonder how anyone survives with anything smaller.
     
  23. MacAgent84 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    #23
    Yes, I agree rayward. The 24" screen seems a bit much upon first setting up the iMac. But down the road, with work video, audio, webpage, or spreadsheet work that spans the entire screen, you really wonder how someone could work with a smaller screen. Now, I wonder if we would feel the same way after using the 30" display for a while :)

    _____________
    OS X Mac Tips & Tricks MacUpdate
     
  24. rayward macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #24
    You wonder? I have no doubt...
     
  25. More macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    #25
    I replied in the gargantuan 'Steve taking leave' thread but it'll probably go unnoticed...

    I'm going to put my cards on the table here and predict that these new product announcements (iMac and Mac mini) will finally come in the next 1-2 weeks. Why? All this hysteria around Steve is bad for the company so they'll soften the blow with new products to shift the focus back to Apple and the Mac platform. Quite simply... assure the fans, stocks and shareholders that it's 'business as usual'.

    I'm willing to put good money on it ;)
     

Share This Page