How long would last a new 2009 macbook pro battery today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canc2128, Feb 10, 2015.

1. canc2128, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

canc2128 macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 model macbook pro. I am happy with the general performance. My only problem is with the battery life which doesn't last more than 1:30 hours. Coconutbattery shows that it's at 47% of its original capacity at 677 cycle. Also my battery might be faulty since the indicator doesn't always show correctly despite some SMC resets.

My question is what would be the estimate battery life of a new Apple battery? In 2009, it was supposed to last 7 hours but is that possible with the power that today's applications and new yosemite features require? My daily usage consists of college note taking, pages and relatively heavy safari browsing.

In other words, could I get close to 7 hours with normal usage or will I still be stuck to 4-5 hours. I read some comments that new macbook air's can get close to the advertised 12 hours with normal usage but should I expect that mine lasts less (than 7 hours) because for exemple the specs of my machine are old?

Apple charges 129 euros for a replacement so I want to be sure that it will be worth it. Otherwise I'll stick to my ipad+keyboard combination which is slightly less useful for daily work but at leasts finishes a day without any problem.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They never got 7 hours in that machine

to be honest 4-5 hours was the best you could get in 2009 with a new battery, I am assuming that these days you would get about the same. However with yours at 50% for 1.5 hours you may only get 3 hours with a new one!!! Safari browsing is the killer, every time you hit a flash video or banner or advert you start to hammer the battery.

With a battery 6 years old you may want to check for swelling too as this can damage your computer, especially if it starts to leak, the corrosion can be a nightmare.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Uninstall flash unless you really need it, run safari and avoid chrome and you'll see 4-5 hours

4. canc2128 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answers.

I found on amazon some "Floueron" branded replacement batteries seemingly equivalent of the original battery. Does anyone have any experience with 3rd party batteries?

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

According to Coconut Battery, the new battery I got for my mid-2009 MBP was brand new when I had it installed in December 2013 (meaning it was supposed to be getting expected usage for a new battery). I let Apple do it since I was having it checked for a recurring issue that they have been nice enough to not charge me for despite not having AppleCare anymore. It's not 7 hours, but it's a far cry better than what the old battery was getting. I use that MBP as a desktop replacement for downloading media, so I'm not using it for very power efficient tasks. That's what my rMBP is for. I can go several days without charging it, but I also go days without using it unlike when I first got my 09 MBP (no smartphone, no tablet, it was the only internet device I had when I started college!).