How long you guys keep your laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hcho3, Nov 17, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Simple question..
    However, I would like to hear from people who own late 2010 MBA laptops. How long do you all plan on keep your MBA?

I will start..

I usually update my laptop every 4-5 years. What about you guys?

2. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Usually about once a year, sometimes less. I think the longest I ever had one was 18 months.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm going on year 4 with mine and I have no intention of replacing it any time soon. It's just that great of a laptop; MBP.

5. funkboy macrumors regular

I'll probably pick up an 11.6" MBA to replace my netbook as soon as there's a fix for the display tearing issues.

I have a 15" aluminum PBG4 that I bought in 2003 that I still use at a client site every day. NeoOffice is slow, but other than that I really don't have any issues with it. Same goes for the late '04 iPowerMac G5 in my office.

Caveat lector: both of these machines have their RAM maxed out and I replaced the crappy Apple factory hard drives with large-cache 7200rpm disks shortly after I bought them. This is why they are still pleasant to use 8 years after they entered production. New Apple machines have hard drive options that are pretty much on par with state of the art; this wasn't the case when Apple was shipping Powerbooks with lethargic 4200rpm 2mb cache drives for the sake of better battery life.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A better question would be "How often can you afford top replace your MacBook?"

My last Apple laptop was a PowerBook. That should give you an idea.

Given enough money, I'd probably buy a new laptop after two revisions. Any more rapidly than that, and the constant data migration just becomes a pain, unless you must have the absolute latest gear all the time.

7. acb2m macrumors member

Same I update every 4 years. I had a 2006 MBP and just got the fully upgraded 13" MBA and love it.

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I am currently "laptopless", with a Linux-based netbook and my iPhone serving my mobile computing needs, but I don't count the netbook as a "laptop" because I use it so infrequently. My wife's MacBook died, and I realized that I rarely used my MacBook Pro, so I gave her the Pro.

Before that, here are my prior four laptops:

PowerBook 5300c, given to me in 1998 while I was in college.
    Sony PictureBook C1X, one of the first "netbooks", especially when I added WiFi, purchased in very late 1999.
    12" Aluminum PowerBook G4, purchased new in Summer 2003.
    15" MacBook Pro, ordered on day of release of the Intel switch, January 2006.

I'll probably be getting an 11" Air soon, as I find myself wanting more than the netbook, but less than the MBP. I miss the size of the PictureBook (9.8" widescreen, the keyboard was about the smallest my fingers fit,) as well as the PowerBook G4. I was disappointed at the release of the MacBook Pro that there weren't any smaller models; but my PowerBook was getting very long in the tooth, and starting to have strange failures (later diagnosed as a failing hard drive.)

So, not counting the short span between the used PowerBook 5300 and the PictureBook, I went 4 years then 3 years, now I'm up to almost 5 years; for an average of 4 years.

My desktop computers last *FAR* less time.

9. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

17 inch MacBook Pro - about 4 and a half years - and still going strong! It's my one and only machine.

10. jayo123456 macrumors regular

every revision (i think)

13" white
    13" 08 pro
    15" 09 pro
    15" 2010 pro
    13" 2010 air

I'm eyeing q1 2011 13" mbp if it has no optical, 1440x900, slimmer profile, i5.....

11. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Those of you who say every year....
    Wow...

U people must be freaking rich.

12. kingsal macrumors member

I've had my MacBook for 3.5 years. Probably going to get the 13" Air to replace it very soon.

13. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

14. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I've got 2 MBP's, 2 MBA's. All purchased this year. Next year it's on with a new iMac and a rev. 2 iPad and possibly another new MBP if it's redesigned.

15. efirmage macrumors member

I haven't had a laptop since the Powerbook G4.

I've been using a white 24" iMac since then. I'm hoping to keep my new air for three years or so, or perhaps longer and get a new desktop then and just use the air for very basic stuff. My portable needs aren't much more then web and documents, video and games on occasion, so the air should still be good for that three years from now.

16. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

4.5 years. I upgraded from my 2.0GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro (with Intel 160GB G2 SSD) to this lovely 13" MacBook Air (specs in sig) and love it!

17. Moodikar macrumors regular

Every year but now that I have the 11.6 inch...

I'm pretty bad as you can see from my signature below. It's just about every year for me but mostly there is a reason or a new feature that justified it:

- G3 plastic to G4 titanium
    - PPC to intel
    - Square screen to Widescreen
    - core duo to core 2 duo
    - plastic to aluminum
    - built-in wifi or camera

I've also made some purchases that I didn't feel was right such as going from 15inch titanium to the first 17inch aluminum (it was too big). I also went to the rev2 Macbook air (which was slow and very hot heat wise).

I regret in the past getting a 17inch when I should have gotten a 12inch. Although I liked the macbooks, I didn't like the plastic (since they used to get scuffs and crack over time). The 13inch MBP came a little late for me as there was a gap between my need to edit.

Now however with this 11.6inch baby, I am quite happy with it's performance and also since firewire is less of a need (with cameras all having USB and no longer videotapes), I don't need what I use to. I'll get a stronger machine later for editing. This mba will allow me to do all my personal stuff. LOVE IT.

18. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

I do my laptops about once a year... you will be surprised at what the resale on Apple laptops is... it's not nearly as expensive as you think.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Obsessed would be a better word.

And not spending money on other things. :)

20. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

So true! This is how I keep my obsession going.

21. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

BTW, thanks for the 9CF0 rev 2 profile. It looks great!

22. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I have a Mid 09 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,4). I've had it since late February; pan on keeping it for at least another two or three years.

You know when somebody is trolling, and another member calls them out with the generic insult of: "You're probably just some 12 year old who got a Mac as a gift from their rich parents."
    I'm 15...I guess I'm that kid?

23. durangotang macrumors newbie

Until next year when they update the MBA. If the update isn't compelling, then the next one.

24. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Same here! Except I actually bought my macbook air (got a job).

25. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Roughly 2-2.5 years but then again in between the switch of MacBooks/MBP I used my Mini to use as a computer and iTunes, but now I am dumping everything just for the MBA 13 Ultimate, also my wife doesn't want her mini anymore as she has an iPad 16GB WiFi and we all use our iPhones all the time.

I would rather have the new iPhone every year then a new MacBook/P of any sort, but I am excited for my MBA to arrive it is an extremely nice machine, however I was going for the 11" but just too small a screen and I do not want to always go upstairs to my office to hook it up to my 22" monitor.