How long???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bmizz, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Bmizz macrumors member

I am sure this is a repeated question and for this I apologize but I am new here. I am wondering when the iphone will be available on different carriers, Verizon especially? My phone is through my company who uses verizon and refuses to change as they are not happy with AT&T.

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I believe Apple signed an exclusive 5 year deal with AT&T. So another few years at least, if at all

3. Bmizz thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was afraid of. I have been told 1 year, 3 years, and five years.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

probably never is more like it. Verizon uses CDMA technology for their network most of the world (including ATT and T-Mobile) use GSM. I think it is unlikely Apple will make a special CDMA iPhone. Maybe Verizon will eventually switch to GSM.

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Also verizon seems to insist on putting an abosolutely horrible interface on their phones and would probably want to crap up the iPhone OS. Not a good idea in my book.

6. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

oh... you forgot Japan --> they use CDMA :) and it was rumoured that japan will get its iphones sometimes this year.

7. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

By the time the 5yr exclusivity is up VZW will most likely be using LTE, or 4G technology, which is GSM based. CDMA has basically run it's course. Sprint is going WiMax for it's 4G, and it's likely that when AT&T and T-Mobile do eventually pull off their 4G it will be LTE for them as well.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

All 3G networks are CDMA. The difference is that CDMA-2000 (EV-DO) is being used by 2G CDMA providers (it provides backward compatibility and no SIM card) and W-CDMA (HDSPA/HUSPA) is being used by GSM providers (it provides backwards compatibility and SIM cards).

Japan uses both 3G systems, but their W-CDMA uses a special packet interface (FOMA) that is not compatible with HDSPA/HUSPA. It is more than likely that the 3G iPhone with use W-CDMA and then in software and allow the use of both FOMA and HDSPA/HUSPA (and any other W-CDMA interfaces that providers may use.)

TEG