How Loose is your vibrate button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmanus7, Dec 29, 2008.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I had my 3G replaced in store at apple at the beginning of November... ever since then there's something that is just driving me crazy....

My vibrate switch is very firm flicking on and off... but is very loose... if I shake my iPhone you can hear it moving up and down... I checked out a few of my friends iPhones but they do not have the same looseness...

Now I'm 100% loving my replacement however I know that there's a issue with vibrate buttons falling off...

is this a sign of things to come? or should I just not worry about it?

Just thought I would add that I do not continually switch my vibrate on or off... maybe once or twice a week at most...

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I use the vibrate switch at least four times a day (that's going to work, then back home) and mine hasn't been that loose as some people claim. It's still snug as ever, bought the iPhone on it's second day of release ;)

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Replacement is in order, if you feel it worth it. Possibly get a refurb because your less likely to get a bad apple (haha). This should not happen as my iPhone's switch is very ridged and sturdy. It's well within your right to get another and this warrants a replacement, it should not be that loose. Good luck.

4. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

see all the posts I read about a loose vibrate switch the switch is loose between the two switch positions.... what happens is when the vibrate switch is engaged it can physically move up and down... from off and on positions its really nice and secure...

am I just being anal? my original 3G was replaced due to a broken home button... Apple Canada claims that the replacements we get are not refurbs...

The only other thing I've noticed is... if i'm cleaning my 3G with a cloth... and apply a tiny bit of pressure just above where it denotes that it's a 8GB the housing can bear heard popping.... when I talked to apple about this they claimed its an adhesive issue and would not affect my phone (I use a case anyways so it doesn't bother me)

5. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

As long as the vibrate switch is working, and doesn't get loose as the one you previously had you should be fine. If it will go back to that odd state, have them check it again and see if it a replacement is needed.

Now about that popping thing, haven't heard any on my iPhone. Just don't clean too much :p

6. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm OCD with cleaning haha.... I think i'll wait it out and see if a bigger problem comes up haha just needed some reassurance

7. XxHOVESKOxX macrumors newbie

I had this exact same issue back in June. My vibrate switch wasn't working right, it was loose so whenever I flipped the phone up or down the switch will move. So I went to the Apple store and the genius there inspected said switch had broke inside and gave a new replacement phone.

Maybe you should take it back again and they could give you a another replacement

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

He actually got it replaced already, if I read the OP's post right..

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Mine's not. I use it at least 10 times a day but it hasn't come loose yet. (thankfully)

10. kalkfi macrumors newbie

kalkfi

My switch movement is just right, not to tight and not loose. But....... My damn button flew off the other day, same problem other people have been having.

I'm away from home + I have a US phone with the old canceled contract thing going on, so asking for a new phone is not an option for me.

I did however (very patiently I might add) glue it back on. I was very worried I might glue the switch into place. So I used a toothpick, put just a tiny bit of superglue in that, put that onto the button itself, and then used tweezers to carefully put the button back on the phone.

It worked great and you would never know anything ever happened.

Kal

11. XxHOVESKOxX macrumors newbie

My bad I forgot to type in "Again" In between

"Maybe you should take it back again and they could give you a another replacement"