Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Coming from a 2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch, I didnt expect to say this but y 2015 15 inch is not exactly a speed machine!

The zooming in-out in preview is horrible - Lags a LOT!

Safari loses track when changing tabs and frequently comes up with beach balls!

Same with swiping windows between different apps.

(That being said - The speakers are pretty darn amazing :O )

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
That is not typical behavior, and my 15" rMBP doesn't experience any of these UI lags(whether using Iris Pro or 750m).

If you are interested in troubleshooting... below is what i would start with...
[Clear User(and if necessary System) Caches, Clear History and Website Data in Safari, Restart in Safe Boot, Repair Disk Permissions(and Repair Disk if applicable), Then restart back into normal mode. IF issue persists, Reset SMC]

Reactions: jbachandouris

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Like Kissmyne suggested, this does sound there's something else wrong. I have a mid-2012 rMBP and Yosemite runs blazingly fast on this machine. I've not experienced a single hiccup ever, no slowing down, no lag, nothing. It's buttery smooth in every which way. I know this info doesn't directly help you but there has to be something that doesn't play well with Yosemite on your machine. :/

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I have the 2015 15in myself and I don't notice this lag when viewing just on the retina display. Now if I connect two externals to it then yes I do see it but I don't think you should see it with the built in display. I have the AMD model so that might be the difference but everyone says El Capitan will fix this :)

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Now you guys are scaring me :/. I got this laptop hardly 2 weeks back! And facing so many issues. While none of you are -.-. I cant send it back to apple! I am a college student - Need the laptop 24*7

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Give Apple Time. Their new practice is to focus on shipping products according to a schedule, ready or not.

I just sit back and watch others be Apples testers. It's one of the great advantages of this site. No need to suffer with buggy software or products, just follow along here while using your sorted out iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro or whatever and enjoy the show.

Once you see that Apple has finally done their job, then you know you are safe. It's an ideal solution to Apples choice to just ship it. :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't have any of those issues, but alas this is also one of the first machines in a long time that I didn't do a migration on either. Did that to make sure I didn't fill the drive, and bring across something ancient that will slow the machine down.

Was a big enough pain when I migrated to the 2014 Mini and had to ditch a lot of stuff that was more that a year or 2 old, since some stuff hadn't been updated in years or to 64-bit. As soon as I disabled that stuff, Mac Mini ran fine.

Did however use iApps to update all the Applications that were on the Mini and download those to the rMBP.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Either bring up activity monitor, cpu tab, sort with highest visible when it is "lagging" or whatever you think it does, then post a screen shot of the results here.

Or we can just keep guessing.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Both of my new Macs (2015 15" MBP and 2012 13"MBP) came with Yosemite. I have had zero problems. On the 2012, it came with 4GB RAM and it would frequently beach ball and lag when it would max out the RAM. I upgraded to 16GB and this thing now flies. I have not had one kernal panic and since upgrading the RAM on the 2012, not one beach ball.

I was holding off on upgrading my 2012 Mac Mini to Yosemite till I got 16GB RAM in it but now that I upgraded the RAM in it, I might as well wait since we are so close to El Capitan.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
2008 MBP, and running well on Yosemite.

One thing that I have noticed re: poor performance is at login. I fire off several apps, Dropbox is syncing, iCloud is syncing. Once all that stops, things are good.

Along those lines, some other background updates that fire off can be pigs. Google's update checks can bog down a machine (reason I removed Chrome from my Windows VM: update check bogs things down, the the actuall update bogs things down more; defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 0 seems to do the trick and lets me update on my schedule). Flash, Java, ditto.

One thing too: phone homes by Apple. At times, when the machine is trying to send back crash logs, can bog things (Apple servers are slow/unresponsive). See that mostly when doing iTunes syncs, usually. For that reason, I've modified my "periodic" jobs to clear out the crash reporter directories on a regular basis (anything older than 7 days).

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Ok so something is definitely wrong with my mac. When logged in safe mode the screen kept flickering and zagged lines came along the screen. Hanged and then crashed-.-. I live miles away from the nearest store - why apple why :X

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Save your important docs.
Do a clean install.
Don't put any weird software on there.
Try running straight Apple for a week, then one by one, add any stuff you consider essential.
Keep an eye out for problems for a few days before adding additional software.

Reactions: ABC5S

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Remember all the thing people moaned at pcs for - x10 and thats the new baseline for OS X
This next release will be the last chance i give apple to sort out the mess.

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
Save your important docs.
Do a clean install.
Don't put any weird software on there.
Try running straight Apple for a week, then one by one, add any stuff you consider essential.
Keep an eye out for problems for a few days before adding additional software.
Did a normal reinstall and then did a clean install. Nothing changed :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok so something is definitely wrong with my mac. When logged in safe mode the screen kept flickering and zagged lines came along the screen. Hanged and then crashed-.-. I live miles away from the nearest store - why apple why :X
A safe mode boot bypasses all login and startup items, so that means it is nothing you have installed on the Mac. If you are seeing that screen flickering behavior in safe mode, you have a hardware issue that no amount of reinstalling the OS is going to solve. Off to the Apple Store you go. :(

Reactions: joedec

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
India
A safe mode boot bypasses all login and startup items, so that means it is nothing you have installed on the Mac. If you are seeing that screen flickering behavior in safe mode, you have a hardware issue that no amount of reinstalling the OS is going to solve. Off to the Apple Store you go. :(
Neah. I will run it like this till december. That is when I get my break. Will get it checked then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.