How loud do your MBP fans get when gaming in windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lapino, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I installed bootcamp+vista on my new MBP and while it runs great, I notice that the fans come up blowing pretty hard/loud after a few minutes of gaming. HWMonitor shows gpu temps of around 80°C when gaming. Is this normal behaviour for a MBP? I ask because on notebookreview.com they mention they barely heard the fans after hours of gaming (??)

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

almost never depending on what games I play.

Clogged heatsinks due to dust will get fans running high too.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats because your using Vista which sucks for so many reasons.
    Time to downgrade to Windows XP or upgrade to Windows 7, doing either of those things will help.

So will installing Fan Control 1.2 and setting:
    the base speed to 2000rpm
    the Lower Threshold to 60C
    the Upper Threshold to 81C.

Enjoy :)

4. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Fan control is Mac only, I don't see how that would help me with fanspeed in windows

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So you expect such a thin machine with such a graphics card to be quiet? Especially at that temperature? Oh, and notebookreview.com has said lot's of stuff ;) Unless of course their machine was totally burning through their table or the sound was so loud they didn't hear the fans. I mean the fans aren't so loud anyway.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The effects are carried over when you boot into Windows. It edits the System Management Controller which is like the Mac's BIOS. Its Operating System independent.

7. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

I can ask can't I ? I didn't say "I" do find it abnormal, I asked if it was the same with everyone elses Macbook. I think I'll post a youtube movie of the sound so it can be a little clearer. When the gpu heats up, I really can hear the fan speed up, sounding almost like a jet-engine in terms of revving up.

8. kolax macrumors G3

It adjusts the SMC. Therefore affects Windows too.

9. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Ah sorry I didn't know that, but I had Fan Control 1.2 installed a few hours after I got the MBP. It's set as following:

Base speed 1500rpm
    Lower threshold 50°C
    Upper threshold 80°C

Still in Vista the fans go a LOT louder than they ever in OsX

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

So set it how i've told you. the base speed should ALWAYS be 2000rpm on any Unibody, less is dangerous, and the thresholds need to be how i've shown you too:

and again as i said before you need to get rid of Vista and get Windows 7. I have the same machine as you an no issues.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Meaning the temperatures will be higher - which is why the fans will be on higher. That is if you have Fan Control 1.2 setup correctly. The fans will be at the same speed for the same temperature in both OS X and Windows.

12. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

When I want to go back to whatever Apple does default, is it enough to just remove Fancontrol from the control panel? I have no idea what SMC is though... (sorry noob)

13. kolax macrumors G3

14. iaymnu macrumors 6502

The instructions is on the Fan Control 1.2 website to remove.
    It is quite easy. I have removed it 3 times because I keep switching back and forth from this and SMC Fancontrol

15. kolax macrumors G3

SMC FanControl doesn't automatically adjust like Fan Control 1.2 does, that is why I don't use SMC FanControl.

Fan Control 1.2, you specify upper and lower thresholds, and a nice straight line graph shows you at what temperature the fans will come on at.

16. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Base speed is at 2000rpm but Fan Control shows both of my fans spinning at 1880rpm. Is that ok?

17. kolax macrumors G3

Yep.

18. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I know thats y I switched back and forth...
    Sometimes the rpm just ramps up more than I want and add noise. So I set it low, but when I game/stream videos I forget to manually switch it.

19. Jottle macrumors 6502

Same here on my 15'' mbp. It's normal. I run bootcamp in xp and have high fan speeds and gpu temps around 80-83C. Good games tax your gpu and the fans should spin up relatively fast/high in order to keep the gpu out of the 100C zone. Anyone else care to chime in?

20. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Fan Control does nothing to help the Windows side unless you restart OSX into Windows while OSX was under a load (adjusts the minimum fan speed).