How loud is rMBP when compared to, say MBA 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jim468, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jim468 macrumors regular

Hello all,

I am using a MBA 2011 13" model. I have an external 24" Dell monitor hooked up to it.

Whenever I use skype video chat, or watch videos on youtube at 1080p using Adobe flash, my fan gradually increases to 6000+ RPM and stays there till the end.

Does the new rMBP exhibit similar behavior?

Thanks.

P.S. Please don't suggest me to not use Adobe flash on youtube, this is not what I am asking about.

2. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

My rMBP stays absolutely dead silent. For real.

No increase in fan noise. (I've had this before with MacBook Airs or Pro's)

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I can't hear anything when I use FaceTime, I don't use Skype so I can't test it out :)

To be honest, you don't want to use ANY external monitor (including Apple Thunderbolt Display) if you're using a "Retina" MacBook Pro ;)

4. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

This may not be the greatest reference, but take it how you like. I installed doom 3 on my base retina. At 1680 x 1050 and ultra quality graphics using the dedicated gpu, my internal temps don't go above 45 degrees, my fans run at around 2500 rpm. In contrast, when running starcraft 2 at similar specs, temps are in the mid 50s with fans at 4500 rpm

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The only times I can get the fans to spin up are during gaming, for everything else, the rMBP is dead silent - you can hear a very very quiet rushing of air if you put your ear to the air intakes, but even then it's on the edge of hearing.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Anandtech touched on this in their review relative to the 2011. It seemed relevant to the thread.

8. jbolden1517 macrumors newbie

That's my experience too. I bought the rMBP for the SSD and 16gb ram. My very nice 27" monitor sits orphaned on my desk. I just can't bring myself to go back to 90 ppi. I never thought I'd love the retina as much as I do.

I remember when the cinema displays first came out and they were $4k. And I keep thinking what a large retina monitor might cost for the first generation...

9. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular