How loud is the 2011 13" MBP? Is it hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I was wondering if the 13" is loud under the following conditions:

1) Browsing the web without flash but with many tabs open

2) Browsing the web with flash (youtube, games)

3) Playing an old game such as Half Life 2

4) Transferring files to and from the computer

If it is, how loud is it?

Regarding some of the heat issues I have read about: when does it normally get hot? When it does, how hot does it get? I plan to use it on my lap all the time and I prefer it cool to warm in temperature.

Lastly, I plan to get the 13" with a 128GB SSD. Will that lower the heat or noise of the machine at all?

And if you could please mention if you are using the i5 or the i7, that would be great!

2. Tulipo macrumors member

1) dead silent
    2) dead silent. I only had the fan go off a few times when I've had several tabs open with flash and videos running. The computer can get warm during this time but not hot.
    3)Don't really play games other than flash games.
    4)dead silent

I have an i5 13 inch with an apple 128gb SSD. Honestly, this computer is almost always silent. I've had the fans kick on loud only a few times. I can watch 1080p youtube videos without having the fan kick on loud. I'm sure it has a lot to due to with not having a spinning hard drive.

3. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

It's dead quiet until you ramp up the fans to full blast, then it sounds like a remote control jet taking off. hehe. Heat is acceptable at full load.