How loud is the EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeepCobalt, Jun 11, 2009.

1. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Does anyone have any info on how loud the card is (compared to the ATI 4870, for instance)?

Thanks!

2. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Ok, first off, I'd suggest you clarify what you're looking for....

Loudness during boot up (why people think that matters I don't know... it's not like you're rebooting 100 times a day...) ???

Loudness while idle?

Loudness while under full load?

And honestly, folks, unless you're working in a sound studio (in which case I question why you need high end high performance graphics card to do audio work) WHY DOES IT MATTER? It's like you're expecting to run a high performance turbo charged V8 engine with the radiator from a Yugo... OF COURSE it's going to be loud under load!

Personally I care more about, how loud is it when I'm NOT loading it up... When I'm just surfing the web and not really doing anything I want it to be quiet. If I can hear it spinning up while I'm doing high performance graphics work or gaming, fine! I'd rather hear the sound and know the fan is running and that there won't be any magic smoke coming out of the case than not hear it at all and having to wonder...

Granted I don't want the machine to sound like a jet engine, but seriously, I don't get why people get so bent out of shape because the fan on the 4870 goes to max during bootup and is loud for the whole 2 seconds before the machine starts running.... It's SILENT after that!

3. DeepCobalt thread starter macrumors regular

Easy killer ;)
    I think the ATI 4870 is fine! I don't mind the little startup whooosh. If the GTX 285 is comparable, that would be fine.

4. noushy macrumors regular

nVidia 285 GTX

The card is comparable to the Radeon 4870, and in fact seem a little bit more quiet. I have not pushed the card hard (say during a FPS or rendering), but it seems pretty quiet. From my experience with a similar card (EVGA Geforce 285 GTX SSC x 2) in a nehalem pc I have, they are pretty quiet for the power they pack. Most of the time, you barely hear the fan, unless they are working hard, then they heat up and the fans speed up as well. I would say you will be happy with the card as far as sound goes. The Radeon used to spin up much faster and louder from time to time.

Noushy

5. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Didn't mean you there. I just get annoyed when I see post after post of people complaining about the sound of the 4870 and then come to find out it's because of the sound it makes when you first turn on. geesh!

6. kudukudu macrumors regular

I'd be interested to know whether it is louder than the 8800GT on idle. As others have said I don't really care how loud this thing is during startup and under full load.

7. Weepul macrumors regular

I'd like to throw in a request for comparison of both the 4870 and 285 to the 2008's stock ATI 2600. (Coming from a G5, I could hardly tell the Mac Pro was on, and I don't want to go back to the noise! :p)

8. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

The GTX 285 is MUCH quieter when starting/waking from sleep. It's a little louder than it's normal idle fan speed, but it's not like the takeoff sound experienced by when the 4870 kicked in.