Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashokc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
my hard drive makes a lot of clicking sounds like its working overtime. I have the 500gb model on the 24" imac. Is anyone else experiencing this? Not that I am complaining its still more silent than my pc but I am just curious.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
my hard drive makes a lot of clicking sounds like its working overtime. I have the 500gb model on the 24" imac. Is anyone else experiencing this? Not that I am complaining its still more silent than my pc but I am just curious.

I have to turn off all sounds around me in order to hear the hard drive in my iMac. I have the 2.8Ghz 24". If it's not giving you issues then don't worry about it but if you are getting crashes or hiccups I would take it to your local Apple retail store.

JBat

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Washington
Makes a faint whirring noise and slight crunching noise when its reading/writing

Same here. I posted a thread myself when I first got the machine, but was assured it's normal. When I do hear it, it's very soft. My iMac runs perfectly.

Enjoy your machine. :)

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I can't hear anything at all from my iMac! It is so wonderful lol Esp coming from a PC that had 8 fans

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Ditto. I have to really concentrate and lean in real close to even hear it. I have the 750 GB drive. I was recently de-programmed from Windoze And I have fallen asleep at the keyboard a few times due to the lack of wind tunnel sounds I came to think of as normal. :D
As a matter of fact, I can hear the cooling fan more often than the hard drive.

Rich :cool:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
My iMac is completely silent, the HDD, fans, optical drive, etc all of the time. I'm ripping DVDs to h264 (so there's continuous HDD writing, DVD reading, and the CPU is maxed out) and I can't hear it at all. It's the quietest computer I've ever seen... so much so I'm concerned about the temps and trying to see what the normal ranges are (haven't had any troubles like shutdowns or errors or anything, so I'm sure it's fine).

I think the fact that a large part of the machine is a solid hunk of aluminum helps it dissipate heat well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.